Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:09:22 PM

Author Topic: Mach4, Pokeys and Lexium  (Read 1313 times)

Mach4, Pokeys and Lexium
« on: November 09, 2018, 05:35:16 PM »
Posting here as well...
Greetings all...I am new to smaller machine tech and recently purchased a Pokeys 57CNC BOB for a small custom machine and I am having a heck of a time hooking it up to a trio of Lexium Ethernet drives. The drives are all configured in S/D mode but I get one little "clik" sound out of them on jog and not a bit beyond that. The drives have a million settings but I have a basic Step/Dir wiring config on pins 4,3 respectively and connected to pins 5,3 on the Pokeys respectively and I'm not doing anything to drive them via Ethernet it's just the config interface at this point. I have some experience programming these drives but none with Pokeyes and boy am I stuck in the mud. I thought it would be a simple thing and am sure it is but I'm not getting the message somehow. These obviously also take a reference but it's auto-sensing and the Pokeys looks to be wanting a sink/gnd so I have a connection to Pin 8 on the motor drive as my reference. Like I said before I get this little clik sound but no motion.
Thanks in advance
Re: Mach4, Pokeys and Lexium
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 01:25:58 PM »
I see voltage changes on my outputs of 0v-.6v on step and 0 or 4.8V on direction...anyone else confirm this for me...I still have nothing but blank stares from these things.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 01:57:22 AM »
Your Step and Direction signals voltages from the 57CNC seem to be correct (at least that's what mine measure with a DMM).

Do your ethernet drives require and Enable signal ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 09:29:13 AM »
I got it...and from the very moment I had an issue I KNEW it would be exactly the type of brainfart I have had with so very many other automation projects around here...I have a relatively complex array of automation in my plant and I can't begin to remember the number of times it has been a lowly check box or in the case of Allen Bradley VFD's a simple jumper...In my most recent punishment for something long ago I finally realized the Pin count to Output  count was off by one in the literature...so when it said Output 3 Step and Output 4 Direction on a 7 Pin connector the first Pin was reference...not Output 1....I swear it's almost like technical dyslexia for me...something so damn frustratingly obvious is right there in front of me and it's hidden from me like a needle in a hayfield....can't even call it  good learning curve either...just DUH!
Anyway, it goes like it should now and from here out should be kind of a fun thing to play with...I literally bought a case of these on an odd pallet at an auction and they never cease to amaze me how slick they are...you hook an ethernet cable up and can set all sorts of pretty cool logic settings in them...like limits off the encoder itself and homing as direct internal logic settings.
Thank you one and all and I will set a separate thread in the machine gallery area for some updates.