Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:53:41 PM

Author Topic: Z axis design and Mach3 control  (Read 10226 times)

Z axis design and Mach3 control
« on: August 03, 2007, 10:47:36 PM »
Hi all,

I have searched the forums but have yet to discover the answers. I am using a Grex as the interface also.

My Z axis will be controlled with a pnematic actuator to toggle the Z up and down. On the Z axis will be the A axis for a tangential knife.

My questions is how shall I configure Mach 3 to toggle the Z axis up and down via an output from the Grex. Under settings I can enable tangential control with a lift angle and Z lift. What should be configured in the Z lift to get this output to retract the knife when the angle is reached

I have thought about using either the spindle or coolant control output??

With the A axis for turning the knife  is it as simple as enabling the Motor Output for the axis and let the Tangential button do the rest for turn the axis

Thanks for you input
Jason

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Z axis design and Mach3 control
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 04:44:24 AM »
If you look at the video tutorials, there is a section on scripting, where you can write your own logic and scripts to activate or do various things in response to input buttons being pressed. You do not need to use the coolant or spindle relay outsputs, in fact these are just output pins that have been configured by Mach 3 to be coolant and spindle pins.

As far as I understand the tutorials, you can configure the pins and write your own logic to make any pin do what you want.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 04:24:23 AM »
Thanks for the info,

I have watched the tutorial and I am guessing that this is what I will do. Any thoughts on this appreciated.

When generating a tool path in Lazy cam I will setup a tool off set called cutter. My z limits will be -150 and cutter offset of +50. and set my Z raise in tangetial control to raise  +50 if radius +45

I will right a M code macro something like this. I have no VB experience but this is what I'm looking to do.

M50 code
If Z is =<-50 then output 1 set to 0 ( Meaning should +45 radius be exceeded,  Z will be driven -150 + 50 offset +50 generated by tangent control = Z-50 turn off output 1)
If Z is >-50 then output 1 set to 1

Do you think this will cut it? and can I enter this M50 in the Gcode once or will I have to enter it after any change in Z in the Gcode.

I will add this to the VB thread for some feedback

Thanks Jason

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 01:11:28 PM »
I have absolutely no idea, becasue I have no idea what you are trying to do.

My own set-up is just a lathe with a milling head for steel, with only 9 inches by 18 inches movement, if that. My milling head only moves up and down about 1 3/4 inches. I have no idea what you mean by a tangential knife.

I am pretty good with logic, once I get the idea what you are trying to do.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 09:46:47 AM »
I replied on the other posting you did,  use 2.5D  then output #6 is the up/down for your Z axis. 

Can't help on the tangiental question.

Arnie

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 06:20:15 PM »
You want to rotate the knife to stay aligned with the axis movement, i. e. 360 degrees functionality. It can be done, but it is advanced programming. You are not garanteed that MACH3 will behave if you run complicated VBScript. I have done this for triple rotating bevel heads in flame cutting, comes to the same function, but I'm getting some really weird behaviour from MACH3 especially if you pause and restart the movement.

Whacko
Nothing's impossible
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 12:52:06 PM »
Did you ever figure this out?

I have a tangential axis and it wants to move within 1 degree as it goes around a circle or square - shoud be 360 degrees.

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 12:14:08 AM »
I am not sure what you mean, do you want a direction resolver? There has been some confusion on my side with a previous post. What do you mean with "it wants to move within 1 degree ". Do you have a tolerance margin of 1 degree?

Whacko
Nothing's impossible
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 09:09:42 AM »
I mean that instead of moving to 90 degrees, 180 degrees, 270 degrees and then back to 0 degrees as the machine traverses a square pattern - I'm getting 0.25 degrees, 0.5 degrees, 0.75 degrees and then back to zero.

I'm guessing this is either a setting, or a programming glitch.

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 01:52:48 PM »
How many steps per unit for A axis have you specified? You need to setup the amount of steps relevant to the rotation.

Whacko
Nothing's impossible