Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:28:00 PM

Author Topic: 3D Scanner  (Read 7286 times)

3D Scanner
« on: August 02, 2007, 04:58:15 AM »
Is anyone here familiar with these 3D scanner's listed at this site www.interinar.com, and whether or not it could be integrated into Mach3 or another listed at www.david-laserscanner.com. I figure these type of scanner's would be quicker and cheaper to use rather than using a probe.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 05:02:04 AM by ronald4418 »
Re: 3D Scanner
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 06:05:22 AM »
IIRC it can generate a depthmap based on what you are scanning.
You could just import that into mach. I think it will work directly or through a plugin.
As DAVID is only a 2.5D scanner that is really the only thing you will get out of it unless you do multiple scans and join them together with their non-free program.

Never looked at the one in your first link tho.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 08:19:26 AM »
Would one be able to integrate the 3D Scanner from www.interinar.com into Mach3 or would you still have to use their drivers and controller?
 If not the 2.5 D Scanner known as DAVID would be far cheaper as the software for 3D scan conversion is considerably cheaper than what the the whole package would cost for the other version.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 09:06:17 AM »
If you mean integrate as into the popeline than it would probebly work.
I imagine that most cam software supports obj format for the solid model. Well at leas most 3D cam softwares.
A 2.5D image would be pretty easy to make from a 3D model as well.
I don't have any experience with any of this and I sort of learn as I go. I have been thinking of DAVID to run with mach when I get to build a CNC mill and router.

Maybe there is a way to cheat using DAVID and mach.

The object is scanned from 3 angels. -90, 0 and +90. The first part is then cut with mach, then rotate rhe workpeace -90* and cut with the proper depthmap. And then the same for +90*. Lots of aircuts tho.
The good part is that it costs nothing other than time to test.
And considering that you will learn a lot at the same time might make this a better invertment than a training course.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 09:39:30 AM »
As a user of the software put out by Vectric.com of which I have great admiration for. I was considering purchasing their Cutout 3D and using the DAVID scanner to create 3D files to enhance my business. The reason I mentioned the software from Vectric is that their software works perfectly with Mach3, unlike some other packages that I won't mention. I've looked at the probe files listed at artsoftcontrols.com and it became quite clear that probing a 3D object could necessarily tie up ones machine for day's at a time to create the cloud points needed to re-create said odject. I figured this would be a more efficient use of ones tome.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 10:26:59 AM »
For production envirement it's best to let other people answer it than me. As I don't have any experience with one.
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »
I have similar question. Can I use scans made with an Artec 3d scanner with Mach 4, and which file type will be the best chose?
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 11:13:54 AM »
Seeing as anyone who is seriously considering the purchase and assembly of a 3D scanner to use with Mach3, they should look into the unit available at www.structure.io.
If attached to a I-PAD and used in the Canvas Mode 3D scanned Objects are much easier to use as the resulting files can be saved in the .OBJ (Quad Objects ) Format which can be manipulated in Fusion 360 or Sketchup. I've been watching the DAVID Scanner progression for at least 8 years now and it is apparent that it hasn't yet reached the level of scanning that the unit from Structure.io has.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 06:54:55 AM »
Hi, I've remembered about this forum and my question, and I thought it would be helpful to say how my workflow looks now. I use Fusion 360 to generate G-code from obj or STl. So almost any 3d scanner would work as most of them can export obj and/or stl. Other depends of the resolution and quality you need and the price you are ready to pay. I do small but precise things so Artec Micro is fair enough. It would for sure be better if scanner's native software could do this, but maybe in future. There are some starting CAD abilities in the last version, I hope there would be more.