Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:21:23 PM

Author Topic: G100 crashing?  (Read 26648 times)

Re: G100 crashing?
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 05:39:43 PM »
Also I have had this problem in the past.... what do you have for network connections? Do you have more then one network setup on that computer? Do you have it plugged in where there is a router that is not liking the IP range? I have found that I have to turn off all other networks on the Host computer to get the device to upload the firmware.... Please try a few things and als know that it takes time to make things better and we are here to help you (I feel your pain)

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 05:46:21 PM »
I don't know what to say, mine works fine. Moreli, did you follow the manual to a t? When you tried to install the firm ware the second time, did you change your auto boot time to 0, load the xsvf file, change the boot time to 10 only after you load the bin file. I have attaced what I have of the set-up guide so far.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 06:43:31 PM »
Also I have had this problem in the past.... what do you have for network connections? Do you have more then one network setup on that computer? Do you have it plugged in where there is a router that is not liking the IP range? I have found that I have to turn off all other networks on the Host computer to get the device to upload the firmware.... Please try a few things and als know that it takes time to make things better and we are here to help you (I feel your pain)

I posted the details to this earlier. I have full communication with the g100 outside of mach3. I can ping it, I can bring up the download web page. I have quadruple checked that the firmware is correct, and can confirm that the size listed in the download manager matches the byte size in the zip file, and matches the screen-shot in the manual.

There is no network, router or switch anywhere. The computer is off the LAN and is plugged directly into the G100 with a cross-over cable. There are no other network interfaces on the computer.

As I said previously, it does eventually sync up if I leave it for a few hours, and once it's sync'ed, I can drive the machine with no apparent problems. This seems to me to rule out network problems.

The network sniff trace I posted earlier seems to show fairly clearly to me that the mach3 plugin simply has the timeout's wrong: It's just not waiting long enough for the G100 replies.
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 06:48:50 PM »
I don't know what to say, mine works fine. Moreli, did you follow the manual to a t? When you tried to install the firm ware the second time, did you change your auto boot time to 0, load the xsvf file, change the boot time to 10 only after you load the bin file. I have attaced what I have of the set-up guide so far.

I'm happy that yours works for you. :) Mine doesn't. :(

I've done every step in the manual to a T, multiple times to make sure. As I said, it does eventually sync up, which it wouldn't do if the firmware or FPGA load wasn't working. The boot time is set to 10 seconds as per the manual.

On my setup, I can see the PC send 'POST /run.cgi' to the G100 to start the firmware. The PC then waits 10 seconds, then tries to get the config from the G100. 10 seconds later it gives up and goes back to trying to reset the G100, 3 seconds after that the first reply comes back from the G100 which the PC ignores because it's too late.

I wouldn't mind seeing a network sniff of a working connection to see what the difference in timing is.  I'm a bit puzzled about how my setup differs to anyone else. Normal PC running XP SP2, direct cross over connection to G100. What's different?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 07:06:07 PM »
Did you set the auto boot time to 0 the second time you tried to load the firmware?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 11:38:14 PM »
There is a new plugin on the web and it has much more time biult in... tell me if that helps
Thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 03:34:28 AM »
Yay! Come up straight away. And it still works when connected to the ethernet switch. excellent!

Much happier.

Many thanks,
Michael.
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 07:01:25 AM »
That is what we like to hear!

If you ever have a problem and I don't post it is becuase I didn't see the thread :( I don't look at every post but if you send me a PM I will have a look at the thread.
Sorry it was not fixed sooner..

Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 04:57:45 AM »
Spoke too soon. :(

It's back to it's old tricks. mach3 endlessly looping around 'Found G100', 'init G100', etc etc.

It's pretty random as to if it connects or not. Sometimes it connects as soon as I start mach3, sometimes it goes into the loop. When it goes into the loop I can't get it to stop it. Exiting mach3 and power cycling the G100 doesn't seem to help. I've going back to use a direct cross-over ethernet cable without any change.

The network trace is slightly different: I see mach3 send a g100 discovery packet to 255.255.255.255 and the G100 sends a reply (also to 255.255.255.255 amusingly enough!). But mach3 is still looping.

:(

Any other ideas? Sending me a snippet of the code that handles the G100 sync would really help: It used to be part of the plugin SDK it seems, but I can't find it anymore (and it would be out of date anyway it seems).

Are there any debugging flags I can turn on to have the g100 plugin log what it's trying to do?
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2007, 04:58:57 AM »
One other question: When I click on 'test' on the G100 download manager page for the FPGA software, the run light goes out. But when the mach3 plugin sends POST /run.cgi, the run light on the G100 stays lit. What's the behaviour supposed to be here?

Many thanks,
Michael.