Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:10:46 AM

Author Topic: Was just given an Ethernet Smooth Stepper  (Read 3333 times)

Was just given an Ethernet Smooth Stepper
« on: May 05, 2018, 10:31:23 PM »
I did some work for a fellow to get his new CNC up and running and was given an Ethernet Smooth Stepper in thanks. When I bought my Mach3 license there was a special deal on licenses for the still new Mach4 and I bought both but have not used Mach4.
My old serial port PC is getting old and it is time for upgrading. My use is a three axis router. Is there any reason NOT to go with the Smooth Stepper? It seems that Newfangled recommends several notion control boards, but smooth stepper isn't on the list and I was wondering if there was a good (technical,) reason why.
Re: Was just given an Ethernet Smooth Stepper
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 10:48:41 PM »
Newfangled does not recommend motion control boards on their web site. The list of "partners" is just a list of authorized resellers of the software. Warp9TD, the makers of the SmoothStepper, have chosen a business model that does not include software sales and therefore do not appear on the list. This does not imply anything about the technical qualifications of the SmoothStepper. The SmoothStepper is one of the most popular motion controllers for Mach software.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 10:59:09 PM »
Hi,
as far as I know the Ethernet SmoothStepper is highly regarded for use with both Mach3 and Mach4.

I myself have an ESS and have been using it with Mach4 for about 18 months. It should be noted that some of the controller enacted features that we have
become accustomed to as the norm in Mach3 are not universally available in Mach4 yet, Lathe threading is an example. Lathe threading has been a regular part of
the features offered by the ESS Mach3 plugin for some years. It is still not ready in the Mach4 plugin, but is being worked on currently.

Accordingly you need to decide exactly what features you require, lathe threading is one example, THC support is another. If either are required then the ESS Mach4 plugin is not ready
however both are fine in the ESS Mach3 plugin.

A three axis router is well within the capacity of an ESS either Mach3 or Mach4.

If you have not used Mach4 before you may find that you are required to do a little Lua coding to have it perform the way you wish and some find that requirement a definite minus.
I have found the flexibility and power of the software tools within Mach4 to be very very much better than Mach3. Not everyone agrees with me but I have my evidenced opinion
and that's it.

Of course if you don't like Mach4 you can always wind back to Mach3.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 02:27:23 AM »
I have both Mach3 and Mach4 installed for my 3 axis router with a Warp9 ESS.

For me the latest update to the ESS driver is what allowed me to switch 100% to Mach4.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 02:35:26 AM »
Hi,

I did some work for a fellow to get his new CNC up and running and was given an Ethernet Smooth Stepper in thanks.

You can tell this rooster I'll help....electronics...CNC.....mechanical....babysitting...anything!. I need a set of 400W AC servos...LOL
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 09:45:59 AM »
Thanks all, you confirmed my beliefs.

JoeAverage: This guy bought a poorly documented (understatement of the century) 4*8 Chinese CNC. Before getting it up and running he did some research and decided against using the simple parallel port BOB and provided software due to bad reviews.

So he bought an ESS with an eye towards Mach3/4, then decided the Centroid Acorn controller/software better suited his needs. The VFD is a Shenzhen DK300 which was set up for discrete control and he wanted 0-10 analog.

The Acorn, the VFD, and the wiring had all been installed/configured incorrectly. The steppers and the spindle were inop. In the course of an afternoon I had to learn Acorn configuration and operation, discover how to reconfigure what appears to be the rarest Chinese VFD in existence, and debug/rewire hardware.

I earned my milk and cookies. ;-)
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 10:02:12 AM »
Hi,
the only thing Chinese I buy is chop suey!

It nots that bad actually, I like Delta servos and VFDs for instance but they produce some absolute s*********t ones as well, the price usually gives them away. We, or at
least some of us, buy them and whinge when they don't work. Who's being stupid here....the Chinese for making and selling it or us for buying it? Remember the Chinese
have our money already so they're not that silly....and do they care whether we're happy on not? No.

Craig
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 12:15:11 AM »
Craig, what the crap are you talking about?
I don't like that chinese bashing - in china you'll find the same people like all over the world. Good guys and bad guys - bad guys are not a chinese invention!

so they're not that silly....and do they care whether we're happy on not? No.
Show me a profit oriented organisation that cares about the happyness of their customers.
If you find one, I'm pretty convinced, that you found some liars only!
Profit oriented organisations care for the happiness of their owners only! - And its the same, all over the world.

Do you remember discussion about mach4 and hobby state about half a year ago?
That discussion raised some good points - and although guys from artsoft stated, that they care about hobby users - nothing has changed since then. So what? Does artsoft care about we're happy or not? No!
So what's the difference between them and the chinese people?

Cheers Reinhard
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 01:02:02 AM »
Hi Reinhard,
I bash the Chinese because they make and sell s***t and then don't even bother to help or answer their emails.
If they want to avoid the criticism then they need to support the customers....simple!

You pose an interesting question re NFS and their regard, or lack of, for their Hobby customers. Bryanna, an
NFS employee has stated in a number of posts that  NFS DO value hobby customers.

My own opinion is not so much that they don't value 'us' but they value Industrial and OEM customers that much
more. Given the business imperative I don't blame them, but like you perceive that 'our' input is not reflected
later builds. Notwithstanding that difference of opinion NFS DO respond to their customers, all of them, and they maintain
and host this website for their customers benefit, the Chinese don't.

Warp9 have one full-time employee whom is dedicated to their forum for their customers. You show me a website
maintained/hosted by a Chinese manufacturer for their CNC controller.

I would agree that my comment does cast ALL Chinese people as ripoffs and you are quite correct to call me on it,
I should not do it.

it or us for buying it?

You may have noted I also took a pretty broad shot at all the idiots who buy cheap and nasty and then whinge that is doesn't
work. I have from time to time done the same, that is, bought cheap and nasty Chinese only to be disappointed.
That makes me  a bloody idiot also!

Craig
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 07:33:35 AM »
Hi Craig,

I bash the Chinese because they make and sell s***t and then don't even bother to help or answer their emails.
I'm only against bashing of ALL chinese, without limitation.
I believe, that ANY generalization about people is wrong. ALWAYS!

I'm from germany and I have bad experiences with german sellers. I was cheated and when I accused the company, I was told, my incrimination is not of public interest - so the company can continue cheating customers.

On the other side I have very promising experiences with chinese sellers. I got great support and yes, they cared about me being satisfied with their service.

So what - are all german sellers bloody bastards and chinese sellers are angels?
Probabely not. For sure!

That's why I say: there are good guys and bad guys all over the world. In every country from any nation.
Generalization is bad and wrong. Accuse the real person - and tell about good experiences too.
That's the way, we should handle each other - well, at least in my opinion.

Bryanna, an
NFS employee has stated in a number of posts that  NFS DO value hobby customers.
Well, Steve stated that too. I appreciate Steve a lot - as he is the most valuable writer of this forum (from my point of view), but ...
... for me, that sayings about Hobby customers are only promises - hollow words. Nothing more.
I don't care for sayings or promises. I only care for what people are doing.
... and from what NFS does, I can't see any estimation of hobby customers. That might have been true in the early days of mach4, but not for now.

Cheers Reinhard