Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:21:06 AM

Author Topic: SMOOTH STEPPER SAVED FILES  (Read 7778 times)

SMOOTH STEPPER SAVED FILES
« on: March 22, 2018, 05:35:09 PM »
Hoping someone can help with a small but annoying problem.  I recently added an edge finder to zero out all 3 of my axis.  It works fine but I cannot save the set-up.  I'm running this item via a smooth stepper and after saving the ports & pins data - the unit will run fine.  After shutting down Mach 3 - I have to reset the ports & pins each time I open Mach 3.  I've set up under Ports & Pins, enabled the Probe (port 3, pin 10) - hit the apply button & said OK.  Checking the set-up at this time, my changes appear to be made.  The unit will work until I shut down and bring Mach back up.  None of my changes are then loaded.  Instead I get port #2 Pin 13, which appears to be coming from my Profile.  

Do I have to modify the profile somehow to keep my new set-up parameters???  If so - how do I best go about doing that???

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Frank  

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: SMOOTH STEPPER SAVED FILES
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 03:30:45 AM »
Hi Frank,

Try making your changes to Mach3, saving the data then close Mach without running anything.
Re-open Mach - have the changes been kept ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 11:26:28 AM »
Hi Tweakie:
Thanks for the response - Appreciate it.

Tried your suggestion - did not work.  Tried it numerous times to no avail.
Frank

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 11:41:36 AM »
Hi Frank,

Then I suspect that you have a corrupt .xml file.

You could try Operator / Restore Settings and select an earlier backup and see if that performs OK but my recommendation is that you create a new profile from scratch.
(Make a copy of all your settings then enter them into a new profile - laborious but may be the only way).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 12:55:09 PM »
Hello Tweakie:

Many thanks for the response - Pretty much what I suspected............and I'm willing to do that.

To be honest - I'm not sure how to do that.  I suspect that I can boot Mach3 and just select "create a new Profile.".  Not having gone through that (and not even sure of what I'm going to see), is there anything that I should be aware of when doing so???  Would that process be easier than finding a program that would just let me EDIT the existing profile - knowing that I would lose the existing profile??  In retrospect - I'm guessing your way would be best.  Any last words of advice???
Regards
Frank

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 05:59:16 PM »
Hello Frank,

at least it not such a "big deal" to create a new Profile.

the old one is not "lost".

here:

http://www.kd-dietz.com/klausphp/pages/eng/machprofile/description/m_profile_description.html

is a realy (IMHO) good free software  to few  Profile data
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 08:49:43 PM »
Hello Tweakie:

Many, many thanks for all your help.  I'm going to download the above program and play with it a bit.  Looks like it could be very beneficial, as well as fitting my needs.  I'll let you know how this all turns out - but probably not tonight    :-).

Regards
Frank
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 03:05:21 AM by Tweakie.CNC »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 03:04:54 AM »
Hi Frank,

The only important thing when creating your new profile is that you physically enter your settings thereby creating a new  .xml  file. You should not just copy over your existing .xml file because that may just be duplicating the error you are trying to remove.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 10:04:27 PM »
Hello Tweakie:

As promised - I wanted to get back to you & let you know how things went over the week-end.  I managed to build a new profile that lets me make and save changes to it.  In that regard, my attempts were successful.  Almost everything works well - except for my rotational motor.  That has me pretty well stumped.

When trying to engage the rotary motor via the keyboard, The DRO reads the keyboard strike, but the motor will not engage.  If I use the old profile, it works just fine, so I'm pretty sure it's in the profile and not some wire fault.  (I'm using a Smooth Stepper in my system).  What stumps me is that the DRO is reading the movement, but the motor doesn't engage.  I have double and triple checked my set up screens from start to finish and they appear to be perfect duplicates of the original profile.  Being my first attempt at building a new Profile, I'll be the first to admit I don't yet understand it.  Can you think of anything I overlooked??  I tried reading over the Profile itself ..............but WOW!!!!  Don't know where to go with that.

Any suggestions you can pass my way would greatly be appreciated.

Regards
Frank

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 01:46:54 AM »
Hi Frank,

By 'rotary motor' do you mean the 'A axis' or a 'spindle' motor ?

Tweakie.
PEACE