Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 03:00:06 PM

Author Topic: High helix end mill keep gouging  (Read 5884 times)

High helix end mill keep gouging
« on: March 23, 2006, 04:51:57 PM »
I bought 2 new high helix, center cutting, 2 flute, HSS mills from Niagara (D201's) and both of them are grabbing the workpiece. This is a simple circle pocket with conventional milling. I'm down to shaving .002 per pass at 4 ipm! When I put in a 45 degree carbide from Niagara (A245) it doesn't grab until I get all the way up to .003 at 6 ipm. The head is rock solid until the plunge then it hops and ruins the z location (inexpensive servos). It is just a mini mill head but it is very tight and not moving under other circumstances. Anyone doing any better with different tooling? ???
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 04:53:31 PM by kdoney »

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,671 2,671
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: High helix end mill keep gouging
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 05:19:16 PM »
Hi,

are you sure its the head moving?

It sounds more like its the backlash in the table when it changes direction.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 05:27:14 PM »
I agree with Graham.When I first got my machine(sherline 2000) I was having the same problem.I rechecked and I hadn't tightened the head's arm as much as I thought I did and it was jumping when it caught some resistance.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 05:31:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's not the head moving. This is a moving gantry type mill. The x axis is a double nut thomson ballscrew and the y axis is a brand new daedal slide. I tested for backlash to .001 and there is none. The workpiece is a flat piece of 6061 and the grabbing takes place at different portions of the circle at different depths. I have not taken the 45 degree carbide to the grabbing stage yet.  

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,671 2,671
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 06:42:55 PM »
The only thing that can cause gouging is movement.

Something is loose or flexing.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 05:26:21 AM »
Try to run a Helical Ramp with the tool.. If you need some test code I can post some for you... Plunging with an endmill sucks! I run 1.000 Carb mills in 304SS all the time and with a helical ramp you can't tell that I am cutting.
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 02:13:43 PM »
These are good american made end mills. I found the error though. Thanks to all for the help. I took your advice of slowing the rpms and climb milling and a long ramp up and it did help, but I found the flexing was in the gantry itself (good call Graham). After a base plate replacement, both mills are performing well. The mini mill head still makes me take .005 at a pass at 10 ipm. Does roughing end mills speed up the process much? What other tooling have you mini mill guys used to speed up "hogging" large amounts of aluminum?
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 08:50:11 PM »
Set over 40%  of the tool Dia and bring the tool down to depth... this is plung milling and should be nice and fast...
BTW I run mills with 2-30HP spindles and I know very little about mini mills
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com