Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 10:37:47 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 win7 32bit, movement only in one direction, what to do?  (Read 3295 times)

Offline Jmk

•  5 5
    • View Profile
Mach3 win7 32bit, movement only in one direction, what to do?
« on: February 06, 2018, 12:00:09 PM »
Hello everybody, my xp desktop crashed. Now i've got A Windows 7, 32 bit version and i'm trying to get my cnc router working again.
I have movement but only in one direction. On this forum I read A topic with the same problem, solution was the difference between the old and new parallel port, 5 and 3.3 volts. I changed mine for A 5 volt version today but the problem remains the same.does anybody have ideas how I can fix this?

Jeroen Kingma
Oudebildtzijl, Holland

Offline TPS

•  2,505 2,505
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 win7 32bit, movement only in one direction, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 02:36:41 PM »
a first easy step would be,
to check the voltage with a Voltmeter
at the dir pin.

anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 04:38:42 AM »
Just expanding on what TPS has already said...

You should see approx. 0Volts on a direction pin when jogging in one direction and approx. 5Volts when jogging in the other direction.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Jmk

•  5 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 11:48:52 AM »
After I pushed. My cnc out of form I disconnected the motors and put Some tape on the shafts. I wish I did that earlyer.:(
3.6 volts. You where both right!
The port I bought has A universal slot, for 3.3 and 5 volts. The slot in the computer is A long one so I expected it to be 5 volts. Nope!
By running A G-code  the voltage was 4.6 volts so when I jog the motors get powered bij the parallelport and running A G-code by the USB 5 volt connection.

Do I need A other motherboard? Or is there A way to fix this and get 5 volt on the port. The powersupply of the computer is 12 and 5 volts so somewere on the motherboard iTS being redused to 3.5.

Offline TPS

•  2,505 2,505
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 02:02:45 PM »
After I pushed. My cnc out of form I disconnected the motors and put Some tape on the shafts. I wish I did that earlyer.:(
The port I bought has A universal slot, for 3.3 and 5 volts. The slot in the computer is A long one so I expected it to be 5 volts. Nope!
By running A G-code  the voltage was 4.6 volts so when I jog the motors get powered bij the parallelport and running A G-code by the USB 5 volt connection.

Do I need A other motherboard? Or is there A way to fix this and get 5 volt on the port. The powersupply of the computer is 12 and 5 volts so somewere on the motherboard iTS being redused to 3.5.

Sorry i am Overwhelmed with my bad Bavarian English.

@Tweakie, i hope You can "jumpt in"

Thank You
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Offline Jmk

•  5 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 02:44:41 PM »
Besides my bad english my iPad also changes my typings in to dutch.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 05:06:04 PM »

Many of the breakout boards will step up the voltages to 5v. If you are just using the p-port on the motherboard then this may be the way to go.
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 01:54:49 AM »

My suggestion would be to fit a PCI parallel port card which outputs the required 5 Volts TTL signal.

You can identify if your computer motherboard can provide 5V from the PCI slot and which PCI card you need to buy from the data presented here; http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,34848.0.html

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Jmk

•  5 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 03:57:23 PM »
I did use this post to identify if I had A 5 volt slot and to buy A pci card. It didn't work so far. Tried it with xp and with two other older desktops.
The problem remains the same. I was thinking that maybe The driver for the pci isn't the right one. The pci I bought is A delock.
Specification
• Connector:
    external: 1 x Parallel DB25 female
    internal: 1 x 32-Bit PCI standard 2.1
• Chipset: Moschip
• Data transfer rate up to 1.5 Mb/s
• FIFO: 16 byte
• Automatically selects IRQ and I/O
• Supports PCI IQR sharing
• SPP, PS2, EPP, ECP compatible to IEEE 1284

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 02:04:57 AM »
Use a multimeter to check the voltage on a Direction pin - when jogging in either direction what is the maximum voltage you see ?

Tweakie.
PEACE