Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:44:49 PM

Author Topic: Pick up where it left off  (Read 7543 times)

Pick up where it left off
« on: July 07, 2007, 05:26:20 PM »
I use my machine to drive a router that cuts signs from wood.  Today I was cutting and noticed that - at the last second - one of my clamps was in the way of the cutter.

I hit STOP - thankfully in time but the Z axis was so close that I couldn't turn the wing-nut to loosen and move the clamp.  Only way to do it was to hit move the Z up and the X & Y over some so I could get room.

I was 30 minutes into the total cut - and it looked as though it was going to be wasted if I could not line everything back up once I got the clamp out of the way. I got it close but after the sign was finished you could see a little discontinuity where I stopped and started again.

Was there a way that I could have restarted and had the machine assume the position that he held when I had hit STOP?

To summarize the question:

Can you start cutting, then stop and manually move to some arbitrary spot - then somehow restart and have the machine line it self back up to where it was before you manually interrupted?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 07:56:54 AM by Jerry In Maine »
Re: Pick up where it left off
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 08:55:50 PM »
Which version of Mach You are using? You should have preperational  move, so when you pause the program and manually move axis, and hit cycle start again, you should be asked to apply this operation. After performing that, and starting program, it should continue from where it stops.
Cheers
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 07:56:09 AM »
I have Release 1.84.

"preperational move" --- can't even find info on that in the manual text....

Anyone have anymore info on this?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 08:19:13 AM »
Hey Jerry, try this. Load some code and start cutting air. Act like it is going to hit a clamp and push your feedhold and jog the machine away. Now, press cycle start. Did a prep. move box pop up? If so, click OK, yes, apply, (can't rememer exact wording). It should now go back to posotion it was at and start running from there.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 06:09:54 PM »
I'll try it...
I was hitting STOP vs FEEDHOLD which is likely the problem.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 09:45:55 PM »
Jerry there is a way to restart a file... Where is Maine are you? I am in Carmel and if you are close I will show you a trick on how to pick up a file.... I did this on a file that I was running with Gary B at the workshop last year and it worked great !

Later
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 04:57:54 PM »
I'm "downeast" in Ellsworth - just outside Acadia Nat'l Park...

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 05:28:01 PM »
Cool you are not that far from me...  :) Tell me if you ever need any help ;)
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 12:31:55 PM »
Hey Jerry, try this. Load some code and start cutting air. Act like it is going to hit a clamp and push your feedhold and jog the machine away. Now, press cycle start. Did a prep. move box pop up? If so, click OK, yes, apply, (can't rememer exact wording). It should now go back to posotion it was at and start running from there.

Brett

Brett, it didn't ask anything...just continued machining from where I jogged to...
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 06:42:14 PM »
Brian - can you explain this procedure for those not fortunate enough to live in Maine?  I had a similar circumstance recently and hit "STOP," when I punched the "Cycle Start", button my machine tried to move to a new position, broke an end mill, and ruined the piece I was working on.  Next time I (there is always a next time), I will try to remember to hit "Feed Hold," stead.  But if there is a more fool-proof method I would like to know.

Jerry there is a way to restart a file... Where is Maine are you? I am in Carmel and if you are close I will show you a trick on how to pick up a file.... I did this on a file that I was running with Gary B at the workshop last year and it worked great !

Thanks

Bob @ BobsShop