Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:15:16 PM

Author Topic: Multiple configurations for Mach 3  (Read 5534 times)

Offline randyray

•  4 4
  • I'm Younger Than I look and Older than I act!
    • View Profile
    • Texas MetarCraft.com and Texas MicroCircuits.com
Multiple configurations for Mach 3
« on: December 07, 2007, 09:39:09 PM »
I am finally converting over to Mach3. I have several machines to control...a CNC lathe, mill, and plasma gantry. I use an electrically switchable set of motor controls for all machines. In other words, I use a 4 axis drive rack controller and the exact same type of motors on all machines. Obviously, I would never run but one machine at a time. Electrically the machines are the same, however the parameters such as accelleration and number of axis used (x, y for plasma, x,y,z for mill, etc.), I need a different configuration for each. My question is....how is it best to use Mach3 for this? I didn't see where I could load the config xml file when I start up Mach3. Most folks will be using a separate set of motor controls for each machine as well as a separate computer, Mach version, etc. I need to be able to switch configurations using the same computer. Does this make sense or am I not explaining it correctly? Have I missed something in the doc? I can draw up a picture and post it if this will help. Thanks for any help. Randy Ray

Offline randyray

•  4 4
  • I'm Younger Than I look and Older than I act!
    • View Profile
    • Texas MetarCraft.com and Texas MicroCircuits.com
Re: Multiple configurations for Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 09:55:15 PM »
I think I found it under MachLoader......I just create a new profile for each machine. If I am wrong here, please let me know.
Sorry for the lame post.
Randy Ray

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 10:27:18 PM »

Randy Ray  that will work fine. 

I have two machines hooked up to one computer.  Each with their own printer port.  No plugging and unplugging.

Simply start the profile for whichever machine I want to use.

You just make a shortcut for each machine and it will start Mach with the appropriate profile.

Greg

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 09:11:39 AM »
Yes I have one machine but it is a lathe/ mill and has different settings whether  I use it as a lathe or a mill.

I have Mach3 mill with one set of settings (bearing in mind the direction the axis must move) and Mach3 turn with another set of setting which reverse the movement of the X (now Z) cancel the drive for the milling head and reverse the spindle direction (because of the lathe gearing)

All I did was alter the config/ports and pins settings to drive everything the way I wanted it in both versions.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 09:16:43 AM »
Further to that - becasue this is what I think you are asking - yes, I drive the same set of cards. Because Mach 3 can be configured, you do not need to alter any wiring, it can all be done with configurations.

If you have one set of drivers, driving several machines, you can configure Mach3 to drive each drive as you require, and be whichever drive you like. You can do a similar thing with motorforward, motor reverse control, and also the coolant.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.