Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 08:00:21 AM

Author Topic: Trouble Loading Mach4Lathe  (Read 1763 times)

Trouble Loading Mach4Lathe
« on: January 26, 2018, 03:05:58 PM »
Hi All,
I have had reason lately to fire up the Mach4Lathe profile and have had a bit of a battle.

My laptop  had a meltdown and so I'm using Windows7 Embedded 32 bit as OS. This restricts usable memory to 2.5Gig

I had assumed that memory was the problem I've encountered when trying to load Mach4Lathe. After selecting the profile
Mach attempts to load the screen elements and the 'percent completion bar' suggests that it completed OK. It then goes
to load the canned cycle modules and mostly it fails. It would appear that a warning screen flashes up but it dissappears
as Mach shuts down before I can see it.

If I shut the PC down then restart from cold the first load of Mach4Lathe works, it loads up and I can run it, no problems.
This debunks the theory that lack of memory is the fault. If I shut Mach down and then try to load Mach4Lathe it fails.
In fact if I use the screen editor when Mach attempts to redraw the screen when exiting the screen editor it fails.

It suggests to me that some portion of the canned cycle modules is hanging up and preventing subsequent restarts.
I used Task Manager to check if any application or fragment was hanging up but it showed nothing. I'm guessing that
whatever fragment is hanging up is not an application as far as Task  Manager is concerned.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
Re: Trouble Loading Mach4Lathe
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 04:28:37 PM »
 Did you try the ol' "Create your own Profile" trick?
After I did that, it would consistently open OK, but much of it wouldn't work ... like jogging.
My Dell Latitude 400 laptop w/XP was just too "poor".
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 05:09:52 PM »
Hi Russ,
yes I made a copy of Mach4Lathe so I could fiddle with it without 'breaking' my good copy.

I had hoped that I might find a way of altering it so that the second half of the loading sequence, ie the canned cycles
didn't proceed. Haven't found a way to do that yet.

Craig
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 06:21:47 PM »
Hmmm, I think there was a checkbox to include the wizards, or not, at the install/setup.
Might be wrong tho.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 07:32:42 PM »
After I did that, it would consistently open OK, but much of it wouldn't work ... like jogging.

Have you checked the configuration to see if the axis have motors enabled and those motors are mapped to the axis? It won't jog if the axis do not have enabled motors mapped to them.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 08:34:19 PM »
Hi,
Hmmm, I think there was a checkbox to include the wizards, or not, at the install/setup.
Might be wrong tho.

Not that I could find, I recall seeing that in Mach3 but not Mach4.

Have you checked the configuration to see if the axis have motors enabled and those motors are mapped to the axis? It won't jog if the axis do not have enabled motors mapped to them.

The Mach4Lathe profile that ships with Mach has motors enabled and sensible numbers for motor tuning and so on, my expectation is that it would load and run with
the Sim(ulator) plugin out of the box. Indeed when Mach4Lathe has loaded completely and successfully it runs in Sim mode just fine.

I was re-reading Russ's thread and Mike had a suggestion that you make a new profile with the lathe.set but I presume that has no canned cycle modules.....could then
add them one at a time until I find a fault.

Craig

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 09:55:17 PM »
my expectation is that it would load and run with the Sim(ulator) plugin out of the box

Yes, well ummmmm in a perfect world bugs wouldn't exist either.  ;D

;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 10:00:03 PM »

I did , and they were enabled and mapped. Many things just stopped skipped and hung. Clear incompatibility, I didn't go any further.
Thanks Brett,
Russ

Hi,
Might be wrong tho.

Not that I could find, I recall seeing that in Mach3 but not Mach4.

The Mach4Lathe profile that ships with Mach has motors enabled and sensible numbers for motor tuning and so on, my expectation is that it would load and run with
the Sim(ulator) plugin out of the box. Indeed when Mach4Lathe has loaded completely and successfully it runs in Sim mode just fine.

I was re-reading Russ's thread and Mike had a suggestion that you make a new profile with the lathe.set but I presume that has no canned cycle modules.....could then
add them one at a time until I find a fault.

Craig

THAT'S where I saw the wizard option, when creating your own profile. Whew ... ;D
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 10:54:45 PM »
Hi,
recently I've been plagued with viruses and malware to the extent I went and bought an anti virus package...you know it has to be bad before I'll pay for
something like that.

Since I've installed it Mach4Lathe has loaded and run correctly. I have had on one occasion where I was using the screen editor and when I exited the editor
and Mach went to redraw the screen and it failed at the 'loading canned cycles' stage. I have never encountered any difficulty when loading a mill profile
so there is something about the lathe profile that can fail on load. Not sure what yet.....but then Rome wasn't built in  a day either.

Craig