Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:48:15 PM

Author Topic: homing to index pulse  (Read 2921 times)

homing to index pulse
« on: January 20, 2018, 12:01:30 AM »
Does Mach4 support Homing to encoder index pulse or is there a way to do it. I was using ess warp9 but the ess does not support threading for lathe using Mach4.
Thanks for any help

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: homing to index pulse
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 02:11:52 AM »
It all depends on the motion controller and drive/motors used.  Most controllers that support analog servo drives will home to an index pulse.  FWIW, homing is a motion controller only function.  All Mach does is tell the motion plugin to home and provides no trajectory for the movement of the motors during the homing operation.

Steve
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 04:27:05 PM »
Hi,
the ESS supports index homing.

Single point lathe threading is being worked on by Warp9. The vast majority of the code is written and tested but there
is a synchronisation fault. My guess is that ESS support for lathe threading is no more than a month away.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 10:07:45 PM »
Hello
That is part of the reason I purchased the ess was for index pulse homing and it works very well the other reason was the ess per there literature works with mach3 and mach4 (Threading) single pulse per rev for timing and it is definitely is out of time now the uss for mach4 is still in development. I have been contact with Andy for the last month and have been told a few day to soon to now Threading is #3 on my priority list behind Support and B.C. finalization so that is why I am looking in a different direction and hoping for some help on it. I don't see ess threading soon I like the ess and it's fetchers but with out threading my lathe is no good to me. Thanks for your in put    
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 10:16:10 PM »
Hi,
I'm not certain, but I believe Vital Systems Hicon is the only Mach4 ready controller that has lathe threading.
Maybe some others can fill us in on where some of the other brands are at.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 10:40:17 PM »
Hi,
I'm not certain, but I believe Vital Systems Hicon is the only Mach4 ready controller that has lathe threading.

Craig
I hope so ..... as threading is my primary concern.
I've inquired all over.  Seems to be top secret .... or afraid to disclosed their shortcomings..
Fine for artsy-fartsy stuff, but what about stuff that has to actually fit together ? ?
Any ACTUAL lathe users out there ?

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 11:25:35 PM »
Thanks Craig
All be giving them a call tomorrow
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 01:54:27 AM »
Hi,

Craig

Pokeys has lathe threading as well.
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 06:16:39 AM »
Hi,

Craig
I hope so ..... as threading is my primary concern.
I've inquired all over.  Seems to be top secret .... or afraid to disclosed their shortcomings..
Fine for artsy-fartsy stuff, but what about stuff that has to actually fit together ? ?
Any ACTUAL lathe users out there ?

I hope to try threading on my Hiconn lathe this week. I believe that it will thread and has been able to do so for quite a while but I just got to the point where I have motion and just need to figure out the encoder pinout. I will post somewhere my results.
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.