Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:22:27 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 Installed but not launching  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Shuey

•  21 21
    • View Profile
Mach4 Installed but not launching
« on: December 21, 2017, 03:47:09 AM »
Hey Team,
Its been a while since I've used any of my CNC gear (Plasma and Mill on Mach3). I decided some time ago (2015) to purchase a licence of Mach 4 and bought a PMDX 422 BOB (now obsolete!) along with a bunch of other stuff. Its all sitting in a box! Anyway, I downloaded Mach4, followed the installation instructions, copied a profile and then tried to launch the program as an Administrator. Windows asked for permission as usual and I click 'Yes', but nothing happens. Installed as an Administrator... Running Windows 7 64 bit... Bitdefender 2018 total security. I looked over the antivirus and it doesn't appear to be blocking the program at all.

I also tried it on my laptop with the same result... also running Win7-64bit with Bitdefender Total Security 2018.

I tried installing Mach3 and it all worked fine.

I'm sure it's an amateur mistake I'm making. Can anyone spoon feed me?

Cheers,

Shuey

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Mach4 Installed but not launching
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 10:02:11 AM »
Bitdefender is blocking it. One of many reasons anti-virus are not recommended to be run with Mach (any version).

You will need to check (and tweak as necessary) your firewall, advanced threat defense and safe files settings in Bitdefender.

;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 11:53:11 AM »
Hi,
if you intend to use this PC as a machine controller I presume it wont have an internet connection so why have any anti virus installed?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 12:56:13 PM »
Hey hey steady on YouTube music is a must while im spitting out parts :-D I dont use any antivirus tho i just use Windows defender in Windows 10 never had a problem. Most anti viruses are a virus in themselves i would upgrade to windows 10 (free).
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 03:24:38 PM »
Hi Peter,
if you use the internet to stream music while your machining you are flying in the face of the advice of every experienced CNCer on the forum.

Craig

Offline Shuey

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 04:53:34 PM »
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get into the bitdefender settings a bit deeper and see what I can see. I wanted to get it up and running on my laptop (I use it day to day for a variety of things) so I could get used to using Mach4, connecting it to the controller etc  in my office and generally familiarising myself with it as per the manual . I have 2 dedicated PC in my workshop for Mach3, so yes, I do not have anything other than the bear bones of WindowsXP, Mach3, SheetCAM and LazyCAM installed.
I was interested to see that I had no problems installing and launching Mach3 with no tweeks to BitDefender, but Mach4 is being held back with nothing in the bitdefender log suggesting that it was blocking it... but I'll get another look at it. Two computers with the same set up showing the same ailment points to the antivirus.

Cheers guys.. I'll report back what ever the case.

Shuey

Offline Shuey

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 09:01:36 PM »
Ok, so I had a play around with a few settings in Bitdefender on my laptop and it seems that specifically, there is a setting called, "Advance Threat Defence". once this is disabled, I can launch Mach4. The firewall and Antivirus were left enabled.
Cheers!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 11:40:49 PM »
A bit late, but...  While PMDX doesn't sell the PMDX-422 any more, the plug-in still supports it, and will continue to support it for the foreseeable future.

Offline Shuey

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 06:22:17 PM »
Great to know that its still supported. I'm hopeful that Mach4 will have full THC capability before too long and I'll change it over.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 06:36:39 PM »
Hi,
Mach has all that is required to support THC, what is required is the hardware support in the motion controller.

To my knowledge Vital Systems Hicon board is the only Mach4 controller that has implemented THC. I know
also that Warp9 are close with the ESS.....but its been close for a long time!

Craig