Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:02:18 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 on Parallel Vs UC100  (Read 6849 times)

Re: Mach3 on Parallel Vs UC100
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 08:26:45 AM »
Yes, but you may need to make changes to some or many of your settings.
And I'd recommend a UC400ETH over a UC100. It's about $25 more, but is newer, has more features, and has better noise immunity.

Well the 400 seems like a lot of extra wiring and work for a benefit I do not need. Plus by the time you factor in you need to purchase the needed cable its more like $50 more. I will change computer over to Standard, if no improvement then I will go with the UC100.
It looks like disabling ACPI also screws up the plug and play or device discovery, I would think that would cause more problems.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 08:37:39 AM by wmgeorge »
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R Service and lots of Hobbys.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 08:48:46 AM »
It looks like disabling ACPI also screws up the plug and play or device discovery, I would think that would cause more problems.

In most cases, ACPI prevents Mach3 from running properly, and changing to Standard will usually fix this. Both PC's I have will not run Mach3 in ACPI mode, but work fine in Standard mode.

Well the 400 seems like a lot of extra wiring and work for a benefit I do not need.

The UC400ETH require no more wiring than a UC100. It just requires a ribbon cable to the G540 instead of a parallel cable. About $5. And an ethernet cable instead of USB. $2.
Ethernet provides a more reliable connection, and is more immune to noise issues.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 09:02:48 AM »

In most cases, ACPI prevents Mach3 from running properly, and changing to Standard will usually fix this. Both PC's I have will not run Mach3 in ACPI mode, but work fine in Standard mode.

Well the 400 seems like a lot of extra wiring and work for a benefit I do not need.

The UC400ETH require no more wiring than a UC100. It just requires a ribbon cable to the G540 instead of a parallel cable. About $5. And an ethernet cable instead of USB. $2.
Ethernet provides a more reliable connection, and is more immune to noise issues.

Mach3 runs just fine on my Lenovo laptop with ACPI and I ran an hour long very intensive VCarve gcode file without any issues what so ever. I even bumped the feed rate up 200% and the computer CPU was only using 30%.  The 400 would require mounting inside the power/controller box and adding a power source which I could do. I will switch over to Standard to see if changes things.

So does Mach3 set the pulse frequency as needed?

Did I mention that I am / was a master electrician and specialized in HVAC/R  controls.    Also have been working with and building computers as a hobby since about 1980, and also a licensed ham back when you had to know something to get your call sign.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 09:18:17 AM »
So does Mach3 set the pulse frequency as needed?

No, you set the Kernel Frequency in Config > Ports and Pins.
Gerry

2010 Screenset

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 10:05:46 AM »
Well I went into the Bio's and disabled the CPU and USB  ACPI modes and I am up to a little over 20,000 and very stable.  I am trying to keep this simple and running on my spare computer
   I also have two laser engravers to keep running, one a co2 40 watt and the other a Galvo fiber 20 watt machine for metals. Both those are on a Windows 7 Pro laptop and USB.
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 12:08:26 PM »
Hi,
sounds like your dead set on a UC100 irrespective of what others say. In which case don't get a Chinese knock-off, they abound on EBay.
Buy direct from CNCDrive or their nominated distributor.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 12:40:34 PM »
Hi,
sounds like your dead set on a UC100 irrespective of what others say. In which case don't get a Chinese knock-off, they abound on EBay.
Buy direct from CNCDrive or their nominated distributor.

Craig

Actually I am also  considering the UC400ETH just doing the research right now.  Not finding a whole lot of people using it vs the UC100.  Also finding out that Amazon is a guilty as eBay as having venders selling knock offs.  Found that out on Arduino boards.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:44:41 PM by wmgeorge »
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 01:44:01 PM »
So it looks like with the UC400ETH I need a CAT 5e  crossover cable to connect directly to my PC can someone confirm that so I can get all the stuff in one shipment.  Plus the parallel ribbon cable connector
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 02:38:45 PM »
Well the UC400ETH is on order, thanks guys.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 08:02:54 PM »
whether or not you need a crossover cable depends on the ethernet adapter in you PC. Modern adapters don;t need a crossover cable, as they auto detect and do the switching internally. I don't use a crossover on either of my PC's.
Gerry

2010 Screenset