Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:34:43 PM

Author Topic: XHC Mach4 USB motion board warning and info  (Read 31348 times)

XHC Mach4 USB motion board warning and info
« on: November 22, 2017, 04:04:53 AM »
This post is for informing others about the XHC USB Mach4 USB motion control board.
I bought a 1325 machine from China (Blue Elephant CNC - really pleased with it!).
I didnt want Mach3 as its old and who wants old software with a brand new machine?
They offered the XHC Mach4 board as there only option for supply with Mach4.
Yes it was a risk and i knew this (being a new board and also Mach4 being new too).
The XHC board is a nice layout with 24vdc ins and outs etc. It is advertised to be working with Mach4.
The catch is the board and its supplied plugins will ONLY run and work with the wxMach.exe Mach4 program and NOT the Mach4GUI.exe.
Under the Mach4GUI.exe Mach4 wont connect to the card and this means all your assigned inputs are on including e-stop. Nothing works.
As you all probably know this means you cant use this board and also edit your Mach4 screens to make Auto Tool Zero and Go to Zero etc work (can only edit screens under Mach4GUI.exe).
I have spoken to XHC and they keep saying the same thing. (Copy paste shortcut to wxmach.exe to desktop). This obviously doesnt fix the problem.
For reference this is the MK3-M4 Version: 5.10 usb board from XHC.
Apparently Artsoft have offered to give support for this range of USB card provided XHC provide some samples for the team to go over and test but unfortunately it doesnt look like XHC are willing to do this.
Anyway this is just some info for others who might have bought one or considering buying.
Admittedly the card actually works well for motion and running programs it just means you cant have a heap of functions that Mach4 offers such as the Auto Tool Zero by button.
If anyone has any info on things i could try or mod to get this working with Mach4GUI.exe it would be awesome.
I have used a heap of chinese parts in the past and have never been disappointed so i thought id give this card a go. I suppose the good times had to come to an end eventaully haha.
If i cant find an updated plugin or hack to get this working ill have to bin it and go for the PMDX usb maybe? Any recommendations for your fav boards?
Anyway hope this helps someone.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: XHC Mach4 USB motion board warning and info
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 04:53:17 AM »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the heads-up on the XHC USB.

There are probably for and against debates about any motion controller  - I use the ESS.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 01:04:18 PM »
My pleasure.
I just think its unfair on the customer when they say it works with Mach 4 when most of the features are unusable. It will most likely be a very nice board once it has been developed more but this looks like it will come at the early customers expense.
Im wondering which board i will move to. The only thing with the ESS is i only have the one Ethernet port on my computer so unless i use a network switch for internet ill have to swap the cable over to the computer every time i want to go on the internet. My computer has wireless but the signal is very poor in the workshop.
 Im really not sure which board i should change to now.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 01:17:22 PM »
Hi,
Roger has made the suggestion that a lot of the Chinese suppliers are just selling houses, they may make the boards even but they don't design them.
As a consequence they can't/won't answer questions about their products and can't/won't update either. I don't know whether that is the case for
XHC but it makes sense. Surely a company would want to develop their product to suit potential customers demands...unless they can't for whatever
reason.

I would recomend an Ethernet connected motion controller because of the reduced latency compared to USB connected. You will probably need another
Ethernet card.smurph made a reccomendation as to the IC series that resulted in best throughput for CNC purposes.It was an Intel IC. I will do some digging
around to find the thread.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 02:10:52 PM »
Im not 100 on this but i think XHC do make and develop the board. They do have a large range and also i have noticed they are incrementally updating there versions etc and providing downloads on there site here which is a start! Some manufacturers dont even provide download links.
http://www.cdxhctech.com/.

I have been wondering wether i should just go with an Ethernet setup and maybe put in another wireless access point in my workshop so i can use the wireless for internet.
Thanks for your recommendation. All information helps :)
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 03:40:07 PM »
Hi,
yes Ethernet is preferred. Why not put an extra card in your PC, cheap as chips?

Warp9, the makers of the ESS, for instance recommend that all wiresless connections be disabled when a PC is used with the ESS.

Craig
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 03:58:54 PM »
Im using an All in One type touch screen computer so i cannot add another card. The reason i did this is the touch screens are so much better when they are designed for the computer they are on.
Of course this does mean i cant upgrade cards etc. Ive been reading about the Pokeys57cnc board which looks really good. It can even be used through your router or network switch which could be an option.
Thanks for your input. Lots of learning haha.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 05:31:14 PM »
Hi,
yes the 57CNC has a great rep and very flexible. Note that the 57E and 57U which share the same core have a few limitations
when used as a CNC controller but are expanded to full capacity with the 57CNC.

Most experienced CNCers on the forum DO NOT recommend any controller be run off an router, not that it won't work, but
cannot be relied on.

Craig
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 05:43:38 PM »
Yeah i can understand not running through a router.
I think im keen for the Pokeys at this stage but im in no hurry so will keep researching.
Thank you
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 02:18:05 AM »
Hi,
New driver plugin here (XHC-MACH4 Card Driver-V5.10.2) https://yadi.sk/d/DrqFYvjV3RsNz7

v5.10.1 2017.8.23
fixed the probe bug.
optimize the usb commnunication.
Don’t do good – won’t endure the evil