Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:46:13 PM

Author Topic: Alright fellow campers...a frankenstein moment!!  (Read 14891 times)

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
Re: Alright fellow campers...a frankenstein moment!!
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2017, 03:29:39 PM »
their level of understanding does not allow for them to realize that what is being described actually is "the fix".
A nice simplistic answer, but not really an accurate one.

In so many cases a novice has asked a question but not supplied enough information for an answer. That's OK: we understand that. So someone (knowledgeable) has offered to help and asked the novice to do steps A, B & C and to report back with the results. Sadly, only too often, the novice has not bothered to take any notice of the offer of help but has gone off in a useless direction. Can you wonder that so many of us have simply given up trying to help as a result?

Many of us are still willing to help, provided the dialogue is genuinely two-way.

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2017, 03:38:09 PM »
Roger, yes I agree, no problem.  bob
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2017, 03:47:56 PM »
What I have been asked to do, but have not yet finished, but will are the following:

proper grounding-- some say put in an earthgrounding rod or similar, othesr say watch out for earth loop... but will do as an experiment.
change to the driver type that did not get activated when the spindle came on, other say don't change driver but do these other things... I will do both as an experiment.
rewire everything more in line with good electric principles... will do this...and get rid of stars etc..
Ceramic capacitor fix--I got them today
Shielded cables--I will do this, have started already.'
Put electrical devices in a larger and all metal grounded box as opposed to where I have all of this located now... I will do this.
I am forgetting 3 or more other things mentioned... but I have printed out all suggestions and will get to them in the order received.

This will all take some time and some money, though not that much...new alum case is $65 or so...  the new driver was $58 and has been ordered.  So I am guessing a couple hundred bucks...this is manageable...fixed income--you know...

I appreciated the help you have given...so here we go step by step... bob

« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2017, 03:49:53 PM »
I do wish this forum had an edit button, so that after you've posted something and realize you mis spelled...you could go back and correct...

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2017, 04:04:23 PM »
Actually, I thought it used to have an Edit button - but not now. Odd. Someone has done something ...

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2017, 10:30:58 PM »
Note for Craig.

Craig Hi,

On an earlier post you said:
 Hi,
just put a capacitor between Dir+ and Dir- and another between Puls+ and Puls-

Craig

So as not to burn something up, I interpreted your statement to mean one of the two options attached... so is it Option C or Option D, or just the big buzzer!!??  bob
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2017, 01:17:17 AM »
Hi Bob,
option D, B would work too but D is what I had in mind.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2017, 01:32:50 AM »
Thanks Craig...bob

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2017, 09:38:26 AM »
Actually, I thought it used to have an Edit button - but not now. Odd. Someone has done something ...

Cheers
Roger

This changed years ago. Now you have a set time that you can modify your post. After that time a mod or admin would have to modify it for you.

Funny this comes up now. One reason this was changed is we actually had some....
Posting questions.
Getting the correct answer.
Not liking (or not understanding) the answer.
Realizing later (usually much later, after lots of post just to clear up their misconception) they got the right answer to their question right off.
After volunteers educating them enough that they now know the question to ask editing their post to be the question they thought they were asking to begin with.

The chain of post went a lot like this.....
Question asked
Answer given
Lots more questions and answers
Finally get it fixed
Well, why didn't you ask "x" instead of "y'
I did ask "x"
No, you asked "y"
Post modified
Did not, go read it again
Hmmmm, that's odd. Could have sworn you asked "y"
Nope, never did. How dare you insult my intelligence. Thank you for wasting so much of my time on my hobby, my problem and my machine.
(Take special note of the me, me, me on previous line)
Hey, wait a minute...... Screenshot shows you did ask "y"
Silence...........  ;D

This would be flat out funny if not so sad.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2017, 02:30:14 PM »
Wow... it certainly got complicated and also their egos could not afford to acknowledge that they were changing their story.  I see that being a moderator has its real price in terms of putting one into situations of being left with a bad taste in one's mouth.  My personal experience is that the type of narcissistic individual you are describing is actually fairly common in all cultures.  I definitely hear that your lament has a strong basis in fact.  I would guess that the existential question now comes to the personal value one derives in taking on such a task of helping others in the face of this narcissism.  It throws one into a crises and forces us to reassess what we are doing.  And what is our psychological stand on helping others in general.  Kind of, "no-pearls-to-swine" versus giving to those where some real help would be accepted and highly valued by those individuals.  Now when you identify the person who would value your real capacity to help...well then, that is where you would gain a deep sense of meaning for the time you are expending.  In this instance, the sense of meaning you derive from helping the other person kind of "makes our effort nourishing to both them and ourselves".  Do you agree with this?  And in this way we build a net of relations in the world that gives us a strong sense of connected-ness and that the world is not "just-an-abyss" of one atom bouncing off another.  The narcissist on the other hand, would project the barren-ness of their own inner experience onto you, so that you would carry the raw pain of their inner state for them. They do this by giving you their problem, then blaming you for their confusion, and then they take the credit for the solution...round and round.  You get what I am saying...
 This is what is happening in your description above, to you and other mentors on the forum.  This process of your getting handed their piece of **** while you are also expected to process it for them and then hand it back to them as a piece of gold, is the basic strategy of narcissistic behavior.  Now since I have to work with these types of individuals often enough, and as I have gone through your experience on a regular basis... I have been forced to adopt some ground rules to bring an individual to a point where they don't get to hand me the entire piece of their emotional wound.  I take a part of it and then let them struggle with that.  I do "modify" some of their "issue" and give it back to them.  After all, that is part of my job and under the surface we are dealing with scare and terrified people...to which I have a commitment to help... but you do not have that obligation.  But hopefully my description of their behavior and why--can help to bring meaning into a difficult situation and help you to establish boundaries against invasive behavior.  Thank you for letting me explain this... bob