Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 12:08:12 PM

Author Topic: Can I install the Mach3 software on more than one computer?  (Read 5007 times)

Can I install the Mach3 software on more than one computer?
« on: November 05, 2017, 03:53:30 PM »
Hi,

I just received and installed the Mach3 software I got from a dealer in New York. My name appears in the license window. It appears everything is working normally.

Can I install the software on my computer in my office also? Sometimes I want to write the G Code in the office then transfer it to my computer in the shop.

Thanks,

Billy
Re: Can I install the Mach3 software on more than one computer?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 04:06:35 PM »
Hi Billy,
yes thats OK. If you are using it for a business you are expected to buy a licence for each machine you are driving
with it but for an office PC that is not actually controlling a machine you don't.

In fact IF the PC you are using can't control a machine, ie it has no PP or motion plugin then even as Demo it will
run without line limit that normally applies to Mach3 Demo.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 06:12:40 PM »
Thanks Craig,

I actually have a demo copy on the office machine. The version that came from the supplier is R3.043.066. I am not sure what the demo version is. For sure they need to be the same and configured the same.

I assume I can delete the demo and reinstall from the flash drive the software I receive from the supplier. 

The last of the parts will arrive tomorrow so I will be able to hook everything up. The supplier said he would help me config the software for my machine over the phone if I needed any help. I installed all the limit switches and E switch today. That was a good bit of work to design and machine the brackets for the micro switches. I may wind up doing it all over again as the switches he provided were not very high quality.

I only use this machine for my own amusement and amazement and to make a few simple parts to repair stuff I own.

Thanks,

Billy 
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 06:40:36 PM »
Hi,
the Demo is the regular software, one and the same. All that is required to turn Demo into fullhouse Mach
is a licence file.

Mach3 software is very generous, you may have as many copies of Mach3 as you like as a hobbyist. One per machine
if in business.

This licencing arrangement has allowed widespread abuse with many pirate copies out there. As a consequence Mach4
licencing has changed where each individual PC is licenced. As a hobbyist you may have five machines. If you change
PC you release the previous licence and get a new one for the new PC. You may do this up to 7 times in 2 years.
In business you require an industrial licence at $1400US per machine.

Mach4 is licence free provided you use Sim(ulator) motion plugin, with any other motion plugin your PC is deemed to be machine
capable and falls under the usual licencing conditions. Demo in Mach4 runs for about 5-6 minutes before it shuts down. Enough
to see if it will work but not long enough to do a real job.

If you have bought a licence...good on you!...we will see you about...CNC is not a hobby but an obession...you poor sick little
puppy!

Craig
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 10:10:57 AM »

I guess over the years I have come to understand that many things that are "free" are frequently worth about what they cost...lol I am not sure why people think software should be free to began with. The $175 I paid for Mach3 seems like a pretty small amount as software of any kind goes. The licencing agreement you describe looks to me to be way beyond fair.

I bought this little Sherline CNC mill a long time ago. The software to run it was "free", Linux EMC and I assume still is. When I started having issues with the Linux system I decided to replace everything using a windows based system because I did not want to put in the time to learn the Linux operating system.

I ordered all this from a Sherline dealer in New York. I have all the parts and software now so I am putting all this together.

Thanks,

Billy
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 01:07:59 PM »
Hi Billy,
Linux CNC is still free and a very good alternative to Mach.

I, like a lot of others can't be bothered with Linux and consequently buy Mach instead. Value for money Mach is good. Were it much more expensive
then Linux CNC would become irresistible.

I don't really follow Linux CNC but because its a realtime system ALL Linux CNC strategies include the CPU in the control loop and reject the notion the a control
board can handle certain time sensitive tasks. Realtime Linux is good but no way its ever faster than dedicated hardware. There seems an almost 'blinkered'
insistence that Linux CNC is the master. Given that Linux CNC was born out of frustration with traditional controller (no Mach at that time) 'blinkered' insistence
that 'theirs is the only way' seems a bit strange that they should fall prey to the same thing.

Any way, we have a choice....you and I have chosen Mach and are happy with that, what others choose is up to them.

Craig
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 07:55:19 PM »
Well...a bit of progress. I managed to cut my name in a block of wood...lol

Time to get out of the garage and spend time with the wife!! I hope the hell I don't dream in G Code tonight!!...lol

See you guys later and thanks again.

Billy
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 01:36:03 AM »
Hi Billy,
I'm sure your wife hopes so too! LOL

Craig

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 02:33:34 AM »
Hi Billy,

I am sure you can work out some form of trade agreement - Handbags, Shoes, etc. in exchange for CNC machine time.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 01:17:20 PM »
Hi,
buying shoes for the woman of the house....that's a way more difficult than CNC...they seem to reject one pair of perfectly good ones as 'totally wrong'
yet fall in luv with another pair which as far as I can tell are nearly indentical.

No...unless flowers have become a symbol of capitulation...flowers are good.

Craig