Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 11:16:10 AM

Author Topic: A-axis rotary lathe question for Mach 3  (Read 27000 times)

Re: A-axis rotary lathe question for Mach 3
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2017, 01:45:33 AM »
ps to Rich.  I turned off my soft limits and promptly crashed and snapped a mill end (1/8th ") because I don't understand the g-code and how mach 3 treats it near well enough yet...so I think I should stick with soft limits and hard switches for the time being while and I practice and learn...this is my responsibility completely, not blaming anyone...I just need brakes on my car for the time being.
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2017, 01:58:47 AM »
My friend asked if Mach 3 could 1. Do Polar Coordinates?  And 2, could Mach 3 also cut a line that moves off center by an angular amount.  So if an right angle from the end that has the smallest angle cuts a slot that is the hypotenuse of that triangle... then can mach 3 if you state the number of degrees of the smallest angle, then will it compute the run of the hypotenuse slot, based on that degree?  I hope this is state clearly enough?
bob

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2017, 05:10:49 AM »
Bob,
No problem  on using the soft limits and switches.
You need brakes on the car as surely they will be used when you press on the gas peddle but don't know how to steer the car............... ;)

Do Polar Coordinates?
Yes, the command description is  in the manual for G15 and G16.

RICH

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2017, 05:02:34 PM »
Yes, Mach3 can do polar coordinates using G16, but while in that mode it can ONLY handle G0 and G1.
Unfortunately the manual promptly shows code using G83, which violates the restriction and DOES NOT WORK - at least with V.062. This is due to how Mach3 handles default values and polar mode. It's a bug in a way, but a very esoteric bug.

I did not understand your question #2 - sorry.

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2023, 06:12:33 PM »
I'm planning on applying this to my machine and need to save a link. Start at page 5 #46. Thanks Rich for the info. I  had about given up on the 4th axis