Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:24:23 PM

Author Topic: A-axis rotary lathe question for Mach 3  (Read 26282 times)

Re: A-axis rotary lathe question for Mach 3
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2017, 04:10:15 PM »
Rich or Dude1,

I tried the address    http://ftp://ftp.machsupport.com/Mach3/  on a windows xp computer, a windows 7 computer and my wife's windows 10 computer... this address showed either "page not available", or just listed several New Fangled Solutions sites.  The only version on the regular New Fangled Solutions website of Mach 3 downloads is version ending with .066    So is there another way to get version ending with .062 ??  bob

bob

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2017, 04:32:07 PM »
http://www.machsupport.com/software/downloads-updates/  then click on FTP downloads - FTP server Main menu - Mach3 - mach3 version 3.043.062 exe
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2017, 05:12:55 PM »
Thanks Dude1  !!!
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2017, 05:55:56 PM »
Rich--or Dude1

With the 062 version of mach 3... should I totally uninstall the previous 066 version and all that, or can I just load 062 and it would it work just to over-ride the 066 ???

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2017, 06:12:59 PM »
It over rights fine but backup your config file first

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2017, 06:18:07 PM »
Bob,

First save your xml file and your license to a safe place.

I suggest that you just uninstall mach3 v066 and then install 062. Don't think you will ever use 066 again.
After new installation is complete place your saved XML file and license in the Mach3 directory.

Per Dude it does overwrite but guess I am old fashion and want to make sure it is gone.

Your choice on what to do...........

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2017, 06:24:49 PM »
Let me add that if you had a lot of "stuff" in an old version and wanted to also keep it for later use.
THEN
Remame the Mach3 to ZMach3. That puts the old one down the directory list and avoids a possibility that the first file found in the drive will be used. 

Any version installed after will be put into the Mach3 directory.

RICH

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2017, 06:50:13 PM »
Relative to xml files as we progress:
Original xml file posted was reply #3:  bobmill
Lesson one I asked you to copy and rename the original and use:  4thbobmill

I want at different stages of this thread for you to use different xml's.
That way not only you, but I /we can also have a look, at what you did if necessary.

I guess the following may be a progression:
- mill w/ 4th defined as angular
- mill w/ 4th defined as linear
- 4th used as a lathe only
- 4th used as a lathe with live tooling or some goofy variation

Not sure of the above but it can  get rather confusing .............
Will let you know when to use a new xml.

BTW,
Just found some of my old notes ...... been almost 7 to 10 years since I was fooling around. Good grief forgot more than I once knew.

No....... haven't put the keys in the refrig yet!  ;D

RICH
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2017, 07:07:36 PM »
I always keep my keys and wallet in the refridge... no one ever looks there... and I always go there... new synapse grooving...

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2017, 08:08:38 PM »
Bob,

Still addressing the 4th axis defined as being angular.
For motor tuning you calculated the steps per value, and then used the calibration feature.

Now lets go back to motor tuning again. Be aware of what the grahics is showing in the motor tuning window.
The graph shows how the stepper will ramp up in time ( accelerate), run at at some velocity, then ramp down. Change the velocity or acceleration and be aware of what the graphics is telling you. With a 25k Kernal speed the graph will only change so far ie; you can only get so manny pulses to drive the motor.

At some velocity, acceleration, or combination of both the motor will skip.
Practicaly speaking you can't go from a standstill and accel instantantly. For a stepper as the motor rpm increases the torque decreases, so,  you need to limit the max velocity so there is adequate torque for machining. Speed can come once reliability is assured. Depending on what you are machining will determine how "you" limit the velocity.

You should know what your max velocity and accel is.
At a combination of max velocity and accel you can check the rpm. The rpm at any lower velocity value can be found  quickly by just succesively dividing  the max velocity  found ( ie; find rpm using a stop watch for one revolution ( 360 degrees)  at max velocity).  Max rpm/2 is rpm of the lower velocity if it was cut in half. Note that the total time to rotate 360 degrees is influenced by the acceleration. Looking at the graphics can show time required for the ramps.

You can do a lot of hand calcs, but, there is an easier way:

STEPS PER UNIT CALCULATOR - members docs
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,16315.msg110286.html#msg110286

This spread sheet will calculate the required steps per unit for linear and rotary stepper motors.
Imperial and metric calculation are provided for. Pulses per second  are also calculated based on miscellaneous inputs.

StepperCalc_ALENZ_rev1.xls

Play with the calculator for different values.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before we do some gcode commands for the rotary you need to be aware of the current state of the machine.
Different gcodes are shown in the upper right corner of the screen and they will change depending on an
an entered gcode command.

SO

Print the Gcode Reference which can be found in Using Mach3 Mill  Manual  - Page 10-12 Figure10.4
There are few others commands not listed but the list will serve you well.

Then compare the codes listed on the screen to the list. After a while you'll know what to look for.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued,

RICH
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:13:20 PM by RICH »