Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:20:07 PM

Author Topic: First startup motors not running  (Read 5317 times)

Re: First startup motors not running
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 02:01:13 PM »
Ohhh, one further on this file it shows device manager I should NOT have ! or ? , I have a question mark in Mach3 Driver...not sure of relevance.

John
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 03:31:13 AM »
Hi John,
are you making any progress.

I'm not sure but I think the question mark alongside the driver icon is to do with User Account Control in Windows 7.
You may already have noted that you have to run Mach  as Administrator to get the required privilege. I encountered the
same thing some years ago when I set up my little Atom board PC with Windows7 and parallel port. I can't remember just
how I worked around that but there is a way in Windows7 for a particular program, Mach for instance, to always be run at
Administrator privilege when you open it. I will try to find the process, I did post it on the forum when I did it but it would be
about four years ago now.

The important point is that question mark or not I don't think is the issue with your machine.

May I suggest disconnect all motors but one, the X say. Its so easy to get confused when you've got multiple axes...when if you can figure
one out, and that would be a step up, then the others are usually easy.

Now you need to get busy with your scope. First can you see the DIR pin of the BoB change state as you jog backwards and forwards?
Is that signal being applied to the right pin of the driver? Is there a hardwired setting or jumper on the driver board that sets Step/Dir
or CW/CCW ? With the motor output shaft disconnected from the screw issue a long slow movement to the driver and probe the Step signal.
eg G1 X 5000 F5, should take hour to complete and you can probe without time pressure.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 05:51:09 AM »
Hi Joeaverage,

I am waiting for 24 volt PSU I ordered from e-bay to arrive prob be next Monday, got a few things I have been looking at:-
1:- The BOB board I have uses MM74HC245A  Octal 3-STATE Transceiver I think you get out what you put in.
2:  Seen this BOB board from Twovolt which uses 74HC14 which are Schmitt triggers, that will clean the incoming pulse, can get all bits easily just PTH Printed circuit board to get but got to copy schematic on Eagle to get gerber files to make, not sure if make a difference but maybe worth a try if get bogged down.

I will post as soon as I have anymore news thanks for all the help.

Regards John
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 12:15:08 PM »
Hi Craig,

Got power supply up and running, tried all you suggest still no movement, DIR voltage toggles from 0v to 5v when "X" axis is changed direction on output of TB6600, my scope is only basic but there is a pules and the pulses ramp from 5v downwards on output of BoB to TB6600

I have tried my motors ("X" and "A" cloned with an Arduino and these motors work fine albeit  had a bit of a problem with skipping using at first, but trial and error using CNC Shioeld and DRV8825 drivers at least got it running reasonably smoothly albeit frying a Uno board and a couple of DRV8825's, I used Universal G-Code Sender and I am using Nema 17 motors think on my first impression my setup is underpowered, But, will upgrade once get working

My other thought was Stepper Driver switches on the TB6600 SW1 - SW6 I have set OFF/ON/OFF/ON/ON/OFF  i.e 8 micro step/1600 pulse per rev..Current 1.5amp PK 1.7 Amp.

When I tried running with Arduino, the Nema 17 motors would only run with CNC Shield set to no jumpers to M01 jumper  i.e Full step and half step higher wouldn't run not sure if that is relevant but  if I increased by putting MO2 and MO3 jumpers in motor would not run.

The other thing I was going to try was using an Arduino to drive the TB6600 that could confirm if SW1 to 6 are correct, there are lots of YouTube ideas but my end goal is to use Mach3.

I would be most grateful for any help from the results I have so far.

I also enc a pic of pulses on scope.

Regards John
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 12:51:20 PM »
Hi sorry for another post,

Just had another go and find the following.
After setting Enable 1 to "Active Low" i.e Tick
Direction Low i.e Tick or no Tick no difference
In Motor Tuning if I set :-
Step Pulse to 5 micro Second.
Dir to 1 micro second

I got some action the motor wasn't moving just pulsing if I tried to turn it seemed to turn a little bit but just pulsing or Jerking

So at least I have some action my thoughts are Micro Step settings are wrong

Regards John
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »
Hi John,
sounds to me that your TB6600 drivers may be at issue.

I think using the Arduino and shield is just confusing the issue. Put it aside for the moment. I suggest also that you disconnect ALL motors
but one, your X axis say. If you have to remove the coupling to prevent movement of your machine so be it.

On the TB6600 driving your one remaining motor set NO micro steps. Remember this is to test and get the thing to work, unlikely to be the
final setup but you have to get control of your drivers/motors. This setting means 200 pulses per rev. You'll need to set your 'steps per' in
your motor tuning page to some suitably low figure, likewise set your velocity very low. Now try jogging backwards and forwards.

Craig
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 02:52:26 PM »
Just thought of something so had a quick look, I thought wire out of phase.
I think I found the issue, the pulsing and Jerking was a broken wire on the "X" axis motor and guess what after reconnecting it worked, BUT, only with pulse width set at 5 micro seconds tried no drive then with belt to axis and drove fine tried the Acc and Velocity and seem to work fine and motor sounds smooth went up to 250 velocity and was fine, so the answer is the pulse width in motor tuning.

Regards John
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 04:07:01 PM »
Hi John,
thats good news.

Those drivers don't have a good reputation. If you are planning to upgrade they are prime candidates.
Leadshine AM882 have been recommended on the forum as have any Gecko drives.

Craig
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 06:43:09 AM »
Hi Craig
Thanks for help all motors working, just got to set limits and and Homing using Artsoft tutorials.

The AM882 look great but a bit out of my price range at the moment I am retired so limited income and they are about mid £50 each from China, Wife would kill me if I spent all that, BUT, what I have found is my "Y" gantry and "Z" assembly are top heavy so going to put single lead screw on "X" with a single Nema 23 Motor and a 600mm supported 12mm bars and fix the "Y" gantry and put a moving table as the "X" axis so I can keep "Y" axis supports rigid.

I'll probably use the old bits for a 3D printer next year.

Regards John
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 06:55:59 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 06:48:59 AM »
Hi John,
kool. If your wife kills you then you can kiss your CNC hobby goodbye! LOL

Once you start turning out useful work then she may relent particularly if some idea of her own can be created.

Craig