Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 04:10:37 PM

Author Topic: Moving settings to another computer  (Read 7879 times)

Offline ScotY

•  13 13
    • View Profile
Moving settings to another computer
« on: September 18, 2017, 10:11:32 PM »
I'm sorry as I'm sure this has been asked before but my searching skills are very poor.  I have Mach3 (demo mode, running the lathe program only at this time) set up and operational on a Windows 10 laptop and I want to see if an old Windows 7 netbook will run it.  I found a thread that says to copy the XML file from the old to the new computer.  I've done that but when I start Mach3, it's showing the default settings.  I am certain I'm doing something wrong...obviously. ;D  Can anyone help?

Offline ScotY

•  13 13
    • View Profile
Re: Moving settings to another computer
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 12:23:24 AM »
I'm also having problems with the Mach screen.  Even if I maximize the window, I cannot see the bottom portion of the screen.  I've changed display settings/resolution and it doesn't help.  My choices are limited to 1024x600 and 800x600 and neither one works.   Also, see the File menu in the upper right. There's a selection called "Entib."  What the heck is that???  When I click it, it brings up a Windows Media Player setup page.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:25:50 AM by ScotY »

Offline ScotY

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 12:53:24 AM »
I have uninstalled Mach3, deleted the Mach3 folder from the hard drive (because it was still there), and resintalled Mach3...nothing has changed, still can't see the entire screen and "Entib" still remains in the file menu.  I've changed all the display settings and checked for updated drivers...nothing seems to be working. 

I then installed Mach4.  I can almost see the entire screen but some windows look compressed so it's not usable.  I'm really not sure what the problem is.  I've seen videos of Mach running on tablets (I think) and since Mach3 is an older program, I don't see why it's not working on this old netbook.  It seems to start up okay.

Anyone???

Thanks, Scot

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 01:20:56 AM »
Hi Scot,

Which external motion controller are you using ?

Did you copy your license file from the old to new computer installation ?

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:37:05 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE

Offline ScotY

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 02:04:55 AM »
Hi Tweakie,

I'm using an ESS and just the demo versions of the software. I'm trying to decide which version to go with...not sure what I should do.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 02:26:04 AM »
Hi Scot,

Rich is the expert lathe man and I am sure he will be along later (different time zone) to advise on the Mach3 / Mach4 choice.

Regarding the Mach3 screen; if you select Auto Enlarge in General Config. then drag the bottom right of the screen bounding box when Mach is closed and re-opened it should be the new size and show all the features.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline ScotY

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 03:36:19 AM »
Awesome, Tweakie, that worked!  Thank you!  I can't seem to find the equivalent function in Mach4 though.

Also, would you happen to know how I can transfer my Mach3 setup from computer to the next?  Can you do this in demo mode?  And is the process the same for Mach3 and 4?

Btw, my decision for Mach3 vs Mach4 is for both lathe and mill. I started using the Mach3 demo on the lathe only because I built the lathe first (still buying parts for the mill at the moment). The mill (I think) will be used more often so I'd consider it the primary machine.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:39:45 AM by ScotY »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 04:17:17 AM »
Hi Scot,

To put Mach3 on another computer - Install Mach3 on the new computer then copy across your <profile> .xml file (plus any special screen sets or Macros if you have created any and also your ESS settings). This way you can preserve any set-up you have made.
The process is slightly different for Mach4.

If you are starting out from scratch then, I think, Mach4 would be the way to go.

For others, like me, we will cling onto Mach3 until such time as Mach4 (and the motion controllers software) are all fully matured.  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 05:09:59 AM »
Hi ScotY,
I changed to Mach4 about a year ago. I don't have a lathe but my mill works very well with an ESS.

Mach4 milling/routing control software is complete and ready to rock. Backlash comp is the only feature that is missing from the ESS plugin
which would have any relevance to lathe or mill ops.

Mach4 uses LUA as scripting language and while LUA itself is pretty simple when you combine it with Machs API, wxWidgets and the likes it
can be quite a learning curve. Once you do its very good and easily out does Mach3 for ability to be customised.

This post probably won't help you decide....some will recommend Mach3 and with good cause, and others like me will recommend Mach4 also with
reasons. I think your choice will depend on what you want from this hobby...if you want to design and make things without to much computer stuff
then Mach3 is for you, if however you enjoy technical and programming challenges then Mach4 would be good.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 07:38:16 AM »
Also, see the File menu in the upper right. There's a selection called "Entib."  What the heck is that???  When I click it, it brings up a Windows Media Player setup page.  

I have never seen the "Entib" listed under File in any of generic lathe screens.
Try this,  View>Load Screens and in the flyout under files of type, select Turn Files (*.lset) and then
select 1024.lset which is the generic lathe screen. The screen will load and see if Entib is still listed.
You may have a plug-in that adds that selection ......just a quess.

Mach3 or Mach4 what to buy...........?
Like Tweakie I will stick with Mach3 until the time comes when there is no choice but to upgrade.
I use custom screen sets, scripting, wizards and have invested a lot of time into Mach3 which is not transferable to Mach4. So nothing much to gained in upgrading for what I do.

Since your starting from scratch I tend to agree with Tweakie on deciding on Mach4.
Haven't followed Mach4 much and don't know exactly how devleoped the Lathe part is these days
and have no desire to invest in another external motion device that will sit with the other two in the drawer.
Hmm.........................maybe becoming "dated".  :D

RICH