Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:40:39 AM

Author Topic: mach 3, motors will not run  (Read 3317 times)

mach 3, motors will not run
« on: September 13, 2017, 11:54:34 AM »
I have put in all the required settings in mach 3.  From the program run screen the axis coordinates move on all axis, however none of the motors run to move the actual machine.  I need help!!!
Re: mach 3, motors will not run
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 02:56:08 PM »
Hi,
what sort of PC and what OS are you using?

Do you have an external controller or parallel port?

When you jog or MDI do the DROs change?

Does the Estop button work?

Have you downloaded the Mach Installation Manual and more importantly have you READ it? If you have may I suggest READ it again.
Second suggestion READ it a third time!

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 05:10:31 PM »
I'm using a PC running windows 7, 32 bit,parallel port, the DRO's change on the mach3 screen, but the motors don't run (the axis's do not move), I have read  the manual more than 3 or 4 time, and cannot find the problem.  I have been in touch the the manufacturer of the control box, and performed the test as he prescribed, and it checks out to be good, as far as we can determine.  the device manager in windows says the parallel port is performing properly, and the driver test is excellent.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 05:11:55 PM »
and the E Stop works
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 06:22:27 PM »
Hi,
kool, you got somewhere to start. I'm assuming because you don't mention a controller that your'e using a
parallel port.

Have you run DriverTest.exe. Do so and post a screen shot if you can.

Craig
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:19:09 PM »
I am using a parallel port. I have run a driver test.exe, it said my pulse rate was too hi, so i changed the step pulse and dir pulse from a 5 to a 4 and ran the driver test again and it was excellent.  Sorry I can't send a screen shot.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 11:07:23 PM »
Hi.
OK, the 'excellent' report doesn't mean that much, the real value of the test is the variance in pulse timing.

Do you have an Estop button on your controller? I imagine you do and if it works then the controller is
talking back to Mach which is good news. Do you have a manual for your control box?. Does it require
a charge pump signal? Do you have access to the DIR pins, useful to probe with a multimeter.

Craig
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 05:33:05 PM »
You are beginning to talk greek to me.  I do not have an external e stop, I use the mouse and do my e stop on the mach 3 screen, all functions are done on the keyboard or with the mouse.  I'm using a xylotex control box. it came with one sheet, which basically tells you how to set it up.  It did not make any mention of a charge pump.  If you are talking about having access to the DIR pin, I do have access to them through the 25DB cable , or on the back of the xylotex control box, or on the back of the PC.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 05:40:19 PM »
Hi,
OK that makes things a little harder. I'm surprised that you don't have an Estop button on the control box. It is a simple way to see if Mach and
the control box are talking.

Can you take the cover off the box and take a few pics of whats inside, we may find a place to probe or it may have some LEDs.

Craig
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 07:32:17 PM »
I don't want to take the cover off of the control box. like i said I have been in touch with the manufacture of the control box, and he told me the test to run, which proved to be that the control box was working.