Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 05:27:03 AM

Author Topic: Module Works Simulator  (Read 18478 times)

Re: Module Works Simulator
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2017, 08:53:11 AM »
I did a little more research.  Haven't tried any fixes yet.  I don't want to load my PC up with a bunch of redistributables I don't need just testing.
See this link for some clues:  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17023419/win-7-64-bit-dll-problems
and this link: http://www.nirsoft.net/articles/windows_7_kernel_architecture_changes.html

The API-MS errors may not be real as I have read that DW being old often reports these missing .dll's although they really aren't needed.  They are not on my system at this time, needed or not.

I am convinced that the developer is missing some important Windows, C++, or .net libraries when compiling MW that permit MW from running on older OS's.
Just curious, was MW developed and compiled on a Windows 10 machine?

Let me know if you guys think of any other fixes to attempt.  My next step may be to install Dcomp.dll, but I read that can be dangerous too.
I read that sometimes the missing Dcomp.dll causes other errors that would be fixed with Dcomp alone.

Thanks again to all and let me know what to try next.

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2017, 07:19:15 PM »
Correct, a lot of what is displayed not needed.  What I wanted you guys to do is run depends.exe, point to the mwSim.m4pw, and then save the output to a file and post that file up.  That way, I can load that file and analyze it.  I do this stuff for a living, you know.  :)  I can't tell much from the screen shots, as there is going to be a lot of misleading info.

The MW guys are using VS2013.  And probably on a Win10 machine by now.  So you are most likely correct in your assumptions.  Developers tend to target the newest OS to make sure it runs on it because that is what most people will be running if they bought a computer within the last couple of years or so.  But that can backfire.  Maintaining backwards compatibility and such is a freaking nightmare.  All perpetrated against programmers by Microsoft.  The newer compilers will not even run on XP.  So XP is definitely on its' way out. 

Steve
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2017, 08:46:01 PM »
smurph,

Gotcha.  Thanks so much for taking the time to check this out.
Here is the file.  Change extension to .dwi (upload won't accept it).

Remember, I did install a couple of redistributables that eliminated some errors, so those won't be shown in this output file.
But it still isn't working so no matter.

I here you on obsolescence.  We run into it in engineering as well, but software is way worse.

Thanks again,
- Noel
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2017, 08:18:41 PM »
Havent worked on my setup in a minute. Been busy with other aspects of life. I think I may pull the trigger and build a newer machine and grab a ethernet smooth stepper. I guess at somepoint I need to get away from the old serial port lol.
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2017, 11:13:05 PM »
Right on.  Be sure to go with the Ethernet and not USB version.  Works great.  I used the C25 Breakout Board from CNC4PC.  Plugs right in like a shield and works great.
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2017, 02:57:59 PM »
Thanks for all the info, to all of you that have contributed in this conversation.

I have the same problem that has yet to be solved. I have purchased licenses for both Mach4 and ModuleWorks, both installed correctly. Mach4 works correctly but no joy from MW. I have followed DazTheGas's video and all other attempts mentioned. Still I have the same dialogue appearing each and every time I start Mach that Beerbatter and JB-Tech have mentioned with the same outcome.

I have no solutions to offer but am only writing to let you all know that you are not alone.

Will continue to follow.

Thanks to all

Offline gorf23

•  189 189
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2017, 04:38:12 PM »
Has anyone got module works running correct...

I can't get it to zoom in or out, I loaded an stl file its to big to fit in window but I cant zoom it smaller the zoom works in mach4  g code window fine
but doesn't see to work with module works and I cant seem to get the tool height to move stays right on top of part no space no matter how I
change the z pos..

Daz have you figured this out know you did a video a while back any updates
Does module works have a support forum.?

Thanks gary

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2017, 05:57:50 PM »
Gary,
If you have the first version, please download the latest one.
Also download the manual.
There are no issue with zoom or rotate in the Simulator Tab and or setting Z height, although it would have been better if it picked up the coordinates of the G-Code.
The have made a few updates to the initial stock settings and it is a lot better than before.
They have added Tapered Ball Nose as well.
This version still has resolution issues if you use small cutters, the program has been purposely done this way as there is a possibility that an Industrial version will have a lot more bells and whistles, 4 Axis and fine resolution, but at a greater cost not sure if we will ever see it.
The Module Works company makes a great simulator but is very expensive.
So if you do not do engravings 2.5 and 3.5 with small tools or do general machining then it will simulate fine.
For me it does nothing as we predominantly do fine engravings.
Regards,
Mauri.

Offline gorf23

•  189 189
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2017, 05:25:30 PM »
I do have the latest version... I tried it again but still can't get it to zoom I can get it to rotate and move around screen but not zoom
Is there a special key or button click I need to use, if I click and hold the right button I can move the object on the screen up down right laft
if I click and hold the left button I can rotate the part, but out  buttons so can't figure out zoom... i'm left handed so my buttons may be reversed from right handed...

thanks gary

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2017, 06:20:49 AM »
Gary,
I just use the Wheel on my mouse to Zoom.
Regards,
Mauri.