Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 10:19:45 AM

Author Topic: Module Works Simulator  (Read 18522 times)

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
Module Works Simulator
« on: May 29, 2017, 08:24:01 PM »
Hi,
How to make it work:
1)   Populate your End Mills/Ball Nose Mills into the Mach4 Tool Table under “View” in Mach4.
2)   You must make your G-Code M06 T01 correspond to Tool#1 etc.
3)   You must populate Diameter/Corner Radius/Flute/Length/Shoulder Length and if you want Holder Length/Holder Diameter.
        a.   Tools can only be End Mills and Ball Nose Mills.
        b.   Corner Radius on a Ball End Mills is half the diameter.
4)   To get colors you must Populate Tool Color R/ Tool Color G/ Tool Color B (e.g. ) 150/100/0
5)   Other settings are under “Configure” “Plugins” Simulator ModuleWorks. Used to setup Stock Material and Cutter Height.
6)   Also under “Diagnostic” Simulator ModuleWorks. Used to save STL after simulation has started to finish.
7)   Must set up CV as it simulates the actual machine cut.
8)   Precision in the “Edit Tool Table Field” 4=4 decimal places (see picture)

Positives to this program.
1)   Relatively low cost.
2)   Produce nice out put down to 3mm Ball nose.
3)   Can save and import STL files.
4)   May suit a lot of users who do simple CNC milling.
Things that need to be done.
1)   Supply an operating Manual for users.
2)   Make the Parameters in the “Simulation Configuration” maintain values entered.
3)   Provide an accurate way of setting up the Z Tool Height.
4)   Provide a sample G-Code that is exactly the same as the Picture provided on what the program can do on the Mach4 website.
http://www.machsupport.com/3d-cutting-simulator-moduleworks-plugin/
5)   Provide all the “Simulation Fields” available.
        a.   There must be more otherwise it would be impossible to replicate the Picture on the website.
6)   Improve resolution for smaller cutters especially ball nose.
7)   Provide “Simulation Fields” for Tapered cutter D-Bits and Tapered Ball Nose if they exist.

Like to have
a.   4 Axis simulations.
b.   If tapered ball nose and D-bit “Simulation Fields” do not exist then would like to see them.

Negatives to this program.
1)   Poor resolution with cutters smaller than 3mm Ball nose.
2)   Program uses line flats like STL triangle to make its shape and not Curves.
        a.   This is particularly noticeable with small cutters (see pictures).
        b.   This could be addressed if there is some resolution setting in the Module or maybe this Module is a cut down version of ModuleWorks Full Simulator.
        c.   12 Year old simulators are far superior down to (e.g) 30D 0.1mm Dia 0.05mm Radius are near perfect in this old simulator but not in ModuleWorks Module. (see pictures).
3)   Because of the resolution this program is not suitable for Engraving/Fine Carving/Jewelry.

In summary as this is only a Beta release hopefully a number of items I have highlighted will be addressed, otherwise a good start.
Regards,
Mauri.

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
Re: Module Works Simulator
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 08:24:53 PM »
Last Picture.
Regards
Mauri.

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 01:39:49 AM »
Mauri
Thanks for that very informative post

As I tend to use > 6mm cutters it looks like it will not work for me

What I am disappointed in is the lack of response from Artsoft

Thanks again it a pity someone had to stump up for a lic. To get the info
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 02:15:44 PM »
Why didn't they put out a free beta to fix the bugs and then start charging?"  I just purchased Mach4, which I totally love, and threw the extra $50 in for Module Works.
My copy won't run.
Is there an installation manual or guide?
I get this error message upon loading Mach4:

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 03:23:07 PM »
That's the I got it was put down to not having a licence , but as you have one not sure

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 04:19:25 PM »
Beerbatter,
You most like have a different screen set name.
You can add the Tab "Simulation" on your Screen version and then rename it.
The name must be mwPanel.set
Regards,
Mauri.
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 05:36:33 PM »
Here is what I can say so far.  If you download the Module Works Plugin from the Newfangled website, you get an executable install file called mwMach4Installer.exe.
When you run that, it does in fact install a Module Works directory and files, but in the Profiles folder of the Mach 4 installation.
You have to run a new profile they provide called Moduleworks, which it does apparently install.  This is accessible from the Mach 4 Loader.
All good so far.
But when I try and go load the plugin into Mach 4 before I can activate it, the file type *.m4plugw can't be found anywhere.
The file type *.m4plugw is what the plugin installer in Mach4 is looking for.

So my next questions are:  What is the Moduleworks downloaded installer really installing?
And where is the *.m4plugw plugin file?
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 05:46:32 PM »
One more thing.  I can load the mwpanel.set screen file manually, and that gives me the "Simulation" tab, but can't see any simulations.

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 06:43:37 PM »
Beerbatter,
Yes you can, however, I just use a Profile dedicated for Simulation called "ModuleWorks" and keep it separate from anything to do with production.
The Simulation "Tab" will only appear in the mwPanel.set Screen, unless you make your own screen version.
Regards,
Mauri.
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 07:44:10 PM »
Mauri,
Thanks for all of your responses.  I don't understand what you mean in the picture where it says "Simulation Tab with Screen not named correctly".
That is what I currently get, a big green screen.  What am I missing?  How do I get get to the screen you show "correctly".