Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:39:45 PM

Author Topic: Steeper y stopped working for no apparent reason  (Read 1948 times)

Offline ivanR

•  15 15
    • View Profile
Steeper y stopped working for no apparent reason
« on: May 04, 2017, 12:07:02 PM »
Hello everyone, here is my problem I hope one of you can help me, so I am running a hypertermax 65 plasma on CNC, we just got this plasma table last year from some guy out of state so we don't have any local support to turn to and the guy who sold us this just went out of business

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Steeper y stopped working for no apparent reason
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 01:34:23 AM »
Just to clarify, when you say that your steppers are 'jamming' do you mean that they lock up solid and cant be rotated by hand or do you mean that they have stalled and can be rotated by hand but don't drive ?

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline ivanR

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 02:29:54 PM »
Hi there..  when Mach 3 is running and I try to rotate  them whith the command Keys they just won't move, They show the same behavior I can hear them trying to move but they seem to lock up like something is holding them  still  and they are quite noisy, i also noticed that the power hissing noise is louder on those two steppers that on the other 2 functional ones, "a & z".
So I'm not sure what could be the issue here, like I said previously I had just finished a job and it just decided to not move at all. I can easily move every single axis by hand when Mach3 is on emergency mode or tuned off. But not when is actually running .

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 07:48:46 AM »
I'm not sure about how this is set up or  so not sure about steps per unit or any of that for what I've been reading this is kinda crucial to know and I will do my best to figure this things out
See if basic jogging and axis moves via commands and jogging work for a basic mill.
Set the drives up amps etc and then tune the steppers accordingly for a simple mill
including steps per , velocity, accel and use the axis calibration if you want.
You will gain valuable experience that will be appplied to understanding of the plasma!

Plasma is somewhat more involved since there is piercing, and other settings that come
into play for the cnc plasma to function correctly. Just another learning curve
you need to understand.

If all works well as a simple milling machine then your problem is the plasma setup.

All that arcing etc can cause RF which can do a number on electronics, but, leave
that as a comment for awareness for now.

RICH

Offline ivanR

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 02:17:40 PM »
Thanks for the feed back Rich, I'm gonna go ahead and give it a try tomorrow when I go back to the shop. I hope I can figure this out in the next couple weeks.
Now let's just say that I had been using the same set up since last year and it had been working just fine, how likely could it be that my set up is wrong  now?  If I used it previous ocations without any issues.
Thanks for your time.  ;)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 09:02:46 AM »
Now let's just say that I had been using the same set up since last year and it had been working just fine,
how likely could it be that my set up is wrong  now? If I used it previous ocations without any issues.
I would guess unlikely from a controller point of view. Sometimes an xml file will get corrupted and it has
happened only once in many years to me. If any changes are made a backup of the pre-change xml is saved
in the folder callled "xmlbackups" where Mach3 is installed. You can go back in time and try one of them
to test.

RICH