Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:21:29 PM

Author Topic: Should I Make These Changes  (Read 1780 times)

Offline dq828

•  61 61
    • View Profile
Should I Make These Changes
« on: April 25, 2017, 02:07:27 AM »
I'm new to the operation of CNC machines and am just setting up a machine that I have built. I wanted to have the AXIS and +/- directions setup so they made sense to me but I'm worried I am accidentally creating a rod for my own back somewhere down the track. I have changed the Jogging Screen Layout as per the image below.

The Z axis is my vertical axis that carries the spindle & the ++ is at the bottom of the axis. The axis is Homed to the top away from the ++.

The Y axis is the gantry (across the table) with the ++ on the right side (looking at the spindle) and it is Homed to the Right + side. I will probably Home to the other side once the cable drag chain is installed.

The X axis is along the table (who would have guessed :) )  with the ++ at the back of the table, I'll probably Home to the front (--) of the table so changing cutters will be easier.

All thought welcome, for what its worth negative numbers just confuse me.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:10:26 AM by dq828 »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Should I Make These Changes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 02:35:49 AM »

By all means modify things to suit your machine layout and the way in which you wish to work but please remember that most CAD/CAM software (that you will be using) will generate it's layout and Gcode to follow the Right Hand Rule.

This diagram shows the direction the cutter should be moving in relation to the work piece.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline dq828

•  61 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 05:24:11 AM »
Damn, ages ago I did a image search of CNC router Axis directions & downloaded an image that I printed so I wouldn't forget, and guess what, the image has the Y going across the gantry!! Better to know now than later on, thanks, does it matter which side is + + & - - ?

Thanks Again

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 06:08:37 AM »
The actual layout of the X and Y axes usually depends on where the operator stands in relation to the machine (A Mill, for example, may be configured differently to a Router).

The + direction that the cutter moves in relation to the work should always be as shown in the diagram.

Tweakie.
PEACE