Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:41:23 AM

Author Topic: Conversion Bridgeport Mills  (Read 7776 times)

Conversion Bridgeport Mills
« on: June 19, 2007, 06:24:27 PM »
We have two 1988 Bridgeport mills that we want to convert using Mach 3 from Artsoft.

We did one conversion of a Bridgport using a product called CamSoft using a Galil pci card.  We don't think CamSoft is a good product for support.

My question is the Bridgeport mills use servo motors not steppers.  We will replace the power supplies (amps) AdvancedMotionControl

Will the Campbell Designs board work to control servo motors with quad encorders?  If no what breakout board would be the correct one.

Thanks

William Day

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Conversion Bridgeport Mills
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 07:21:42 PM »
William,
   I can't recommend one but I will ask a friend when he gets home. There are lots of boards now and some very interesting ones coming soon. Lots of ways to handle the encoder input as well. He will know what is best at present. What kind of time frame are you looking at to begin the conversion?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 08:57:22 PM »
Thanks Brett for your quick reply.  Today I gutted the first mill - took out the old power supplies, transformers, and printed boards.  The PC is on it's way to me.  I plan to work on it directly. 

I did get a positive response form Mr. Bob Campbell - Campbell Design

CC below
William,

In Mach3 the encoders always feed directly back to the drivers.

Our breakout boards passes the step and direction signals from Mach3 to the drivers.  We buffer the signals and then provide the current necessary to drive the optical isolators in most drivers.

Our breakout boards should support most drivers. We have a switch on board that allows us to support either common ground or common 5 volts going to the drivers.

Robert Colin Campbell
Bob Campbell Designs
www.Campbelldesigns.net
Mach 2/3 breakout boards
Relay boards
Spindle Speed boards
Stepper motors
Plasma Torch Height control

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 09:03:10 PM »
Very good. Mr.Cambell's boards have a great reputation and he is a great guy and very good to deal with.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 09:55:16 PM »
I think you should get these DC servo drives http://www.larkencnc.com/viper/index.shtml to make life easy.  I will have some on the way soon for my Bridgeport mill also.  And one of these breakout boards for accurate homing stop. http://www.cncbuildingblocks.com/breakout.html

vmax549

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 10:40:46 PM »
As long as your new Servo Drives Accept "Step and direction commands", you will be good to go with Bob's boards. The boards and BOB are Top Notch.

I have a converted BP BOSS and use 2 of Bobs boards, trouble free, no surprises. (;-) TP
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 10:41:32 PM »
Greetings DennisCNC

Thanks for the info... I will study the Pdf's

William
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 10:42:59 PM »
Greetings vmax549 

Thanks... more reading.

William
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 10:48:41 PM »
vmax549

Are using two boards on your one BP Boss with two parallel printer ports?

Thanks

William

vmax549

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 08:50:09 AM »
William, yes 2 LPTs and 2 boards to get all the I/Os I needed and still have a few left over for spares(future goodies) (;-) TP