Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:39:05 AM

Author Topic: Compatibility Test Diagnostics Failed !  (Read 6769 times)

Compatibility Test Diagnostics Failed !
« on: April 21, 2017, 04:00:41 AM »
Hello,

I would like to replace the PC for my CNC with an AMD Athlon64 3800+  instead of 2400+

But I encounter some issues during the milling. So, I ran the "Compatibility Test Diagnostics" and the result is an unstable pulse rate.  "Pulsing too Slow" or "Pulsing too Fast".

I already tried to format the PC and re-install windows XP 32bits and Mach3 043.066 with many different BIOS parameters . Same result, I don't know what is the problem.

Please could you help me?

Thank you
Patrick
Re: Compatibility Test Diagnostics Failed !
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 05:01:21 AM »
Hi,
just to confirm... you are using a 32 bit operating system?

If so have a look at the section of the forum for running Mach on Vista, some of the tricks and techniques maybe will
help you as well.

Note also that some PCs just don't run a parallel port well no matter how much you tweak them. This was part of the impetus
for various manufacturers to develop external motion control boards. An external motion control board means that the PC no
longer has to support the parallel port and with some PCs its the only way they could run Mach usefully.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 06:05:40 AM »
Hi Patrick,

Some have reported problems with using Mach3 version .066 and their preferred version is now .062. This version can be downloaded from here: ftp://anonymous:guest@ftp.machsupport.com/Mach3/Mach3Version3.043.062.exe

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 06:11:25 AM »
OK Thank you for your reply.

Yes I'm on Windows XP 32bits. I tried the memoryoverride.reg file -> same result
May I to try something else? It's not easy to find tricks among all post...

I'll try version .066   thank you
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 07:05:04 AM »
Same result with version .066

I think the best solution is to invest on a Smoothstepper.

What is better USB or RJ45?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 07:19:49 AM »
What is better USB or RJ45?

the RJ45 (Ethernet) is now the preferred version.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 07:48:19 AM »
...and Mach3 will work with a Smoothstepper even if the pulse are floating or unstable?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 08:11:41 AM »
Just my opinion...

There are other manufacturers motion controllers you should also consider but I am perhaps biased because I have been using a SmoothStepper with Mach3 (and Mach4) for many years now without issue. Warp9 have an active forum for discussion and resolution of any users problems encountered and their customer support is excellent.

Motion controllers, such as the ESS, generate their own pulse stream so do not rely on the PC - the result is much improved and smoother machine motion.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 03:53:57 PM »
Hi,
I go with Tweakie on this one, like him I have an Ethernet connected Smoothstepper and luv it! It has both Mach3 and Mach4
plugins so if you want to try Mach4 just download the plugin and have at it!. No cost involved.

The UC100, in fact the entire UCnnn range have a great reputation and many thousands of Mach3 users. To my knowledge they
don't have a Mach4 plugin and all their devices are USB connected only.

PMDX have a number of boards all USB connected and at least two which have Mach3 and Mach4 plugins. The head honcho at PMDX
is a regular contributor on the forum and an absolute whiz at anything Mach. PMDX customer support is legend.

A more recent player in the 'value external motion controller' market is PoKeys. They have both USB and Ethernet connected examples
some with both Mach3 and Mach4 plugins.

CSlabs, Vital Systems, Dynamotion and Galill all make great controllers but are more angled to the pro market and are a lot more expensive
but all VERY good. Have a look and drool!

There are still more manufacturers, a lot of Chinese suppliers, and they crop up in the forum quite a bit, usually because buyers are struggling
to get them to work and/or the manufacturer don't back them up. I may be guilty here of painting all such manufacturers with a 'black brush'
when there are some who are really trying to do the right thing. Too many people have paid up their bucks to these outfits mainly because
they're cheap only to find they end up with rubbish. If you buy 'real cheap' don't be surprised if it turns out you're disappointed.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 06:16:33 PM »
Craig, just to clarify we "CNCdrive/UC********* devices" have a Mach4 plugin for our UC100 controller, it's available for download on our website.
And we also have ethernet controllers (UC300ETH and UC400ETH), but still working on the Mach4 plugin for these, they yet have Mach3 plugin only.

http://cncdrive.com/UC300ETH.html
http://cncdrive.com/UC400ETH.html