Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:29:43 AM

Author Topic: Controlling a chip blower  (Read 2159 times)

Controlling a chip blower
« on: February 03, 2017, 08:21:18 AM »
Hi all, having recently spent 8 hours machine minding while my Novamill did some deep engraving in brass, where my only function was to blow the chips away every minute of so, I have finally (a) arranged a guard window on the front of the machine to stop chips flying all over the workshop; and (b) arranged a little jet to blow air at the cutter to clear the chips.  The air is fed from an airbrush compressor, and should do the job fine but I'd like to arrange it so that the air comes on for a few seconds every so often rather than blowing continuously.  I have a small reservoir on the compressor (about a litre) which can be taken up to 40 psi, and if I can arrange for periodic blowing rather than continuous then I hope the compressor will nly have to come on occasionallly rather than say on all the time, generally reducing noise in the workshop and saving the compressor getting too warm.  So to my question...

I have an unused relay on the BoB which I can use to control a solenoid air valve, and one of those is on its way via ebay - is there a way I can control the valve from Mach to come on say every 30 seconds for 3 seconds?  I can see that I can use an M command to turn coolant on or off, but not make it intermittent.  Help and advice much appreciated, thanks!

John.
Re: Controlling a chip blower
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:51:33 AM »
Can no one help?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 12:35:50 PM »
easiest option from my view would be to buy a little dual off-on cyclic timer module, probably £20 or so - set the periods for what you desire then control it from the coolant output on the machine :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIC-1CMDT0-TIMER-ANALOGUE-SPCO-MULTI-FUNCTION-12-240-Vac-dc-/112028479315?hash=item1a156aef53:g:dLMAAOSw2XFUadoI
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:37:48 PM by Davek0974 »
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 04:00:21 PM »
Thanks Dave, it's beginning to look that way.  There are some cheaper options on ebay too, basically PCBs with a few components, need a bit of protection but only a few quid.  I may use it as an excuse to get an Arduino...

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 04:08:59 PM »
Yeah i saw the cheaper open units, either way will do it i reckon, nice and easy :)