Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:50:58 AM

Author Topic: Hybrid stepper motors from e bay  (Read 9042 times)

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: Hybrid stepper motors from e bay
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »
Ha, that was an autocorrect typo - it should say strain :)
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 02:30:34 PM »
Haha, starring doesnt sound like a good thing if it existed. It drives me nuts to have the one side straining one side more than the other.  Im at the point its like a window shaker ac for the motor driver and psu im using. I dont think im going to headache over it. Ill rebuild it better than it was shipped to me. Another thing that bugs me and I didnt realise but whoever put the bearings on the rails put all the grease fitting facing toward eachother making it impossible it purge out.
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 10:03:50 PM »
You built this, what does your wiring look like? Shielded cables? Twisted pairs? Power wires routed away frm signal wires and only crossing at right angles? One ground point, no daisy chain of ground wires? Noise problems can make you think you have mechanical problems very easily.
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 06:34:33 AM »
I ordered it as a kit. But for the most part i should have just built it myself cause trying to get ahold of the guy. My wiring is not the neatest, but its all sheilded 18/4 security cable. Thanks Gary, it is kind of a mess in my diy control box. I had no idea to run them the way you suggested.
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 06:44:17 AM »
I used a solid 14g wire from power supply to drivers, then sheilded 18/4 from bob to driver, from driver to aviation plugs for motors to connect (should I take these out (would these create noise?) I have the sheilding grounded to the box. Would I have to install a separate grounding rod for emi grounding?I will make some time to create a new control box and route the wires as you stated. Thanks a lot guys for the helpful info. It will be a few days before i gert another chance to go mess around with it.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 06:52:14 AM »
Personally, if it was working ok and is now losing steps and you have not altered wiring then I would not look at wiring apart from checking for loose connections.

Wiring would not suddenly go bad :)

Of course, if it has always been dodgy and lost steps then by all means modify. tidy, correct  the wiring.

Unless its a plasma cutter I would not look at grounding rods.

The plugs should be ok as long as you have not created ground loops by connecting both ends of the shielding to ground :)
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 07:05:17 AM »
I was very confused on this and grounding for emi. What i did is I attached the sheilding on the cable from driver inside the box to tthe nut that secures the av plug. Then from motor cables I attached the wire to the plug also. So it is grounded on one end inside the box and one end on the motor wires, grounded to their own plugs. I hope you can understand that.
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 07:06:30 AM »
My wiring could be neater also.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 07:40:34 AM »
So you heavenly one end connected to ground but that point is at the plug/socket?
It should be ok like that, motor cables do not even need to be shielded really - they are higher voltage and current connections which are generally immune to interference and also emit very little as well, i don't think that area is your problem.

Has it always been dodgy/losing steps or is this new behaviour?

Even messy wiring can work, its not ideal but I have seen a complete rats nest of unshielded wiring in a commercial plasma table controller that even shocked me, and they were being sold like that!

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 08:41:17 AM »
Its only lost steps when i have pushed the envelope. I can take some pictures of the last test cuts i did. I've been over the program in aspire and it is the way it should be. The problem that came up is new and has not happend. Ill update my progress, thanks for the help.