Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:11:00 PM

Author Topic: Hybrid stepper motors from e bay  (Read 9044 times)

Hybrid stepper motors from e bay
« on: November 02, 2016, 07:57:07 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with any of these brands? Im fairly new to cnc. My machine is a kit with nema 23 steppers. I recieved no info on. Ive been using machine about 8months now with little problems until i did some test wood joint cuts and im losing/gaining steps. Could that be my drivers going bad? It seems im losing power to my motors. The electronics i have are all cheapos from china so maybe the bob not giving quality pulse trains? I increased steps per unit and seemed to be no help. I machine hard woods and some aluminum, what is a realistic feedrate/ cut depth for a spindle that spins 24000? Thank you all for any suggestions.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: Hybrid stepper motors from e bay
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 09:08:31 AM »
Do not increase steps per in an attempt to fix - these figures once set will not change as they are hardware related.

Let me know what size and type of tool you are running and i can give a rough speed / feed for you, also spindle power, type etc
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 10:02:30 AM »
Thank you davek. Right now Im using a 1.5kw huanyang but would like to upgrade this also down the road. I use these 6mm em i found on ebay and seem to work good for clearing. I have 4mm sinngle flute that work great on aluminum .06doc @30ipm spindle24000 and did nice but now it seems i lose in every axis. I use the amana tool 1/16 ,1/8, 1/4"ball em, 1/4" 90v bit. Thanks again Davek, much appreciated!

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 10:30:36 AM »
Assuming they are carbide cutters, I would run a 6mm 2 flute end mill in aluminium at 24,000rpm, 1500mm/min 2mm deep and slotting or full-width cut. In hard wood something like 4000mm/min.

But you must clear the chips so air blast at a minimum really.

If your figures used to work and have now stopped, something is not right - maybe a seized bearing or linear guide?

It may be a failing drive - is it one or both axes that lose steps?

If one it may be possible to swap the connections to verify if the motor is failing or the drive is failing.

Is this an all-in-one drive board - all three axes on one board, I have not heard many good stories about them. Most builds and upgrades go for separate drives running from a breakout board.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 10:47:29 AM »
Yes, solid carbide.Going to do the look over and check the components. Had to shut it down and keep going the other day on another project. Just now getting time for investigation. Thanks man! 
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 10:58:44 AM »
It is 4 separate drives. 2 motors on y, 1on x&z. But seeing that it cost only 30$ for this breakout board and to top that i cant get any info on svt-3 bob (Ive ended searching for it), I must say im not impressed with the electronics that came with kit. I almost want to take it apart and tig weld up a steel base instead of 80-20

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 11:05:28 AM »
Separate drives is good, may be worth trying another bob but first i would swap motor connections and see if the fault follows the cable(faulty drive) or stays with the motor(faulty motor)

If all axes are messing about it may even be PSU or the BOB or more.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »
Im looking over machine all couplings are nice n tight, everything seems ok. Uppon startup I got lots of kerklunking on my slaved axis but now is moving along ok again. I dont hear any bearings sounding bad. I'll set up a test of cuts and have to run that to see.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 11:53:17 AM »
You have a slave axis - do you have homing switches and does it straighten the slave axis upon hoping?

Just wondering if that axis has become twisted somehow - this will put staring on the motors and bearings etc.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 12:14:22 PM »
I have homing switches but havnt figured out how to get it to straighten it. It should work if i figured out how to get both sides to touch and then back off. They just touch and stop. I tried adjusting all the homing settings but ended up not seeming to work with ul100 parallel to usb. I check the square after losing steps but its not precise cause i just manuallt turn ballscrew to make that side touch tge swith. Im probably going to invest in the next year or 2 into a quality prebuilt machine so maybe I will rebuild and improvise on my electronics. What is starring by the way?