Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:36:58 AM

Author Topic: digital indicator serial port input  (Read 3522 times)

digital indicator serial port input
« on: October 31, 2016, 05:24:20 PM »
Is it possible with Mach4 to read a serial port input from a micrometer with data out?  I realize that Lua programming would be required.

Thanks
Re: digital indicator serial port input
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 10:45:53 AM »
I too would like to know if this is possible.  I have previously read data from a digital caliper(cheap Chinese version)designed to take measurements from old bamboo flyrods.  Maryland Metrics has a kit that contains the necessary hardware.

http://mdmetric.com/mosale/spcsw.htm
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 02:35:23 PM »
Rhtuttle,  I doubt we will get any help from this forum at this point.  So far I have only received only one response to the last 3 questions I have posted.  Maybe they are difficult questions and everyone seems to be struggling with learning Mach4 and Lua etc.  I will try to figure this out and let you know when I am successful.  It may take a while since I am totally revamping my electronics to upgrade to Mach4.  My caliper has an RS232 out so it might be easier for me to be successful without the hardware you have linked to.  I am sure Mach4 can see the input with the breakout board I plan to install, I hope...  Feel free to message me if needed in the future, I would like to help if I can.

Keith

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 05:36:04 PM »
I doubt we will get any help from this forum at this point.  So far I have only received only one response to the last 3 questions I have posted

You have to remember that all information submitted is free and submitted during free time and for some of us that does`nt come often these days ;-) .

With mach4 most items that require input into the core will require some form of plugin written for it or provided by the manufacture, however you could look up using serial with lua, there are classes within the mach4 examples folder, and a search with mrs google on this will give you plenty.

Its hard for any form of developer to develop a plugin for something they cant test, saying that the link from rhuttle uses software to output to a txt file this can be read from lua and displayed in a txt box that updates via the PLC.

There are many possibilities..........

DazTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 06:57:37 PM »
Wow that mm kit is expensive... But meet and prepackaged

Alt solution...
http://www.compendiumarcana.com/caliper/

Maybe an easier suggestion.......  Get yourself something like an arduino due (note they are 3.3v) or maybe a mega if they have multiple rs232 ports.... Then read the caliper and pass the reading via modbus to mach4.... Once breadboarded... You can then cut down on the circuit.... It may be possible with a due to feed in multiple rs232 inputs from multiple caliper....  Or you could do some sort of a multiplexer circuit maybe... If only a few ports...

Mach4 does not have native rs232... Hence you'll need to write a plugin if you want direct interface... Which means you'll need to ask NFS for the SDK for mach4.
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 07:35:35 PM »
DaztheGas thanks for the response!  I hope that II did not offend!  I really appreciate what I have gained from this forum.
I only tried to indicate that some posts can go unanswered but that I would follow through if I solved the problem.  Thanks for the info!  It really helps to know now that I have to dig deeper!  Its off to Google...

My caliper is Mitutoyo Robertspark but thanks for the details.
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 03:08:23 AM »
Like Rob says the arduino is worth considering, i have a project at the moment using the arduino and its so easy to use.

DazTheGas

PS not offended just giving my view :-)
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas