Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 07:16:12 AM

Author Topic: Help! Calibration in mach 4  (Read 3311 times)

Help! Calibration in mach 4
« on: November 09, 2016, 08:16:03 AM »
Hi,
I have a problem with my mach4. I can not auto calibrate my mottors in mach 4. Help me, please with mach 4.

Thank you!

Anton. 

Offline Pedio

•  200 200
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Calibration in mach 4
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 08:18:22 AM »
I built a simple spreadsheet that calculated the correct motor tuning by taking the actual movement of the machine and comparing it to the programmed movement of the machine. It gives you a new figure to put into the M4 motor setup. I will upload the spreadsheet the next time I am at the machine. It was very easy to build.

Not sure if this function is built into M4 there were previous threads about why you should calculate the movement of the machine based on gear teeth, steps per revolution, etc. That is really the proper way of doing things, but the measure vs move calculation will get you up and running quickly. Also, it is good enough for many users.

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 10:13:41 AM »
to the OP

its just a math problem has out lined in the manual if it needs to be altered something is very wrong

DL the manual and have a read
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 04:55:22 PM »
Of course everyone who says it is a math problem assumes that the screws are what they say they are. I have setup several machines and the move and measure is more accurate than the math. If a 5 TPI screw is actually 4.9 TPI the math will not be perfect. As with everything else that is made there is a tolerance.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 02:21:50 AM »
If your screws are a 1/10 inch out then they are junk

Mine are metric and work with the maths method set it up move 50m test with jo block and DTG spot on

As I said if the maths do not work something is wrong

I rest my case and shut up

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 08:58:30 AM »
Hi Stuart,
I respectfully disagree. Wile my example numbers were extreme, my point still stands. Everything is made to a tolerance. Including ball screw TPI. We had a case at work where a metric ball screw was misrepresented as being imperial. So it always pays to check. Do the math, input the numbers into Mach, then test.  Think of it as quality control when building your machine. If the screw is out .0005 in one inch, over 20 inches it adds up. Of course everyone is entitled to do it the way they want. I have always found move and measure to be more accurate than the math. Not by much but within my ability to measure movement.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 09:41:38 AM »
I have always found move and measure to be more accurate than the math.

I agree Mike. Most should calculate first and then compare / confirm using axis calibration or their ability to measure.
One needs to be meticulous what they do. One really dose not know the accuracy of the "system" unless they test.

It's all a matter of degree of accuracy and confirmation one wants to know.

I have the ability to measure movement / distance  very accurately using different means to accomplish the measuring.
Published data on screw or whatever accuracy can be misleading by the manufacturer. Then you can also question  
just what did one measure.

I wonder how many folks have ever profiled a screw....both directions. There can be differences in each direction and the tolerance can be
in only one or different sections of it. What do you do it if you have a lot of steps to confirm as one of my machines sues 254000 steps per...
that's a challenge! What do you do if your trying to calibrate a 40 foot long axis!

Just my take on it FWIW,

RICH

Offline Pedio

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 10:11:10 AM »
Here is my spreadsheet. There is a lot of extra things in here. You can scroll down to the section where it compares the movement to the measured distance.

As you can see this subject can take on a religious fervor. I prefer to do it both ways. One time in an eariler position I argued "...but the math tells me" to an older guy who had been around the block a few times. He told me "it is only a suggestion - measure and confirm"

Have fun,
Peter