Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:48:42 PM

Author Topic: new computer set up  (Read 2930 times)

new computer set up
« on: October 25, 2016, 12:41:49 PM »
My computer crashed and went to set up the new computer and got it going with use of your website but hit a snag. I'm using HP computer with windows XP (the old one was too), MACH3 and Gecko G540 but the "A" stepper motor is not working and was working prior to the crash. I need to change the Mach3 to a plasma not mill.
The old computer was set up prior to me getting so I have little knowledge of how to get it changed (bought from Viper CNC which is out of business)  or get it working as a CNC plasma configuration if you can point me in the right direction to fix my little problem.
Thanks
Kevin

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: new computer set up
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 02:18:36 AM »
On the Settings page check that the A Axis is not Inhibited.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 03:18:47 AM »
I'm sorry but I'm sure where the setting page is. If it's on the ports and pins page. yes it it is set,
Maybe I'm not real clear on what i'm looking for.
I'm running a Plasma torch with X, Y, Z and A ( A is running with X on the Gantry). The download from geckodrive that I installed is for a mill operation and that will run X, Y, Z. and I guess I need to know what do i have to do to get the Mach3 Plasma to send a signal to the geckodrive. I checked the ports and pins and they are set correctly (as far I know) and i'm not sure what will trigger it to send a signal to the drive. I've look on youtube and couldn't find anything that would help. everything was for a mill set up.
I hope I'm a little clearer
Thank you very much for helping I'm artist not really good at setting up computers :-[
Thanks
Kevin

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 04:47:29 AM »
Do you have access to your old PC hard drive?, if so then the <your profile> .xml file (in the old Mach3 folder) will contain all your previous Mach3 settings. If you copy that .xml file to the Mach3 folder of your new PC then you should be good to go.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 08:26:18 AM »
The old computer hard drive crashed, I know that would have been too simple. I know that there is something simple to get this going and i don't have the experience to do it.
I thought there was a youtube video I used the last time I set it up but it was pretty much set up when i got the CNC machine (company's out of business for help).
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 05:15:10 PM »
Tweakie
Thanks for your help but I figured it out it took a lot of trial and error "A" axis is a slave and went to View and load screen to Plasma. but now I have another problem it thinks one inch on the screen that equals 18 inches on the table and now there has to be some calibrations done not sure on how to do that yet........ but done for the day. If you have some help for that
Thanks
Kevin

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 02:04:20 AM »
Hi Kevin,

The Settings screen (Alt-6) has an axis calibration feature (set Steps per Unit).

Tweakie.
PEACE
computer set up
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 07:06:28 AM »
I hate old computers .... I had to replace the hard drive and reinstalled Mach3 everything is working but the torch is not coming on/off automatically (torch on/off button is not lighting up unless pushed). I can hit the on/off and leave the torch running while cutting.... not good. I know there is something simple like a switch not toggled right.