Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 09:59:49 AM

Author Topic: Robot part loader for CNC Lathe  (Read 5331 times)

Robot part loader for CNC Lathe
« on: October 24, 2016, 10:14:29 PM »
Loader for CNC Lathe. Should I go Mach 3 or 4. Servo or Stepper. What for the PC and OS. I need about 30 to 40 I/O. It has to be robust to run 12 hours a day. Change the part every 2 minutes or less and run in a big shop 50 plus CNCs in shop temps from 40 to 115 degrees. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Chris

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: Robot part loader for CNC Lathe
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 02:20:12 AM »
30 to 40 I/O would probably be the domain of a dedicated PLC, I am not sure of any PC stuff with that much I/O capacity.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 02:57:03 AM »
I am not sure of any PC stuff with that much I/O capacity.

You sure Dave?  (hint, you use one :D )

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 06:30:13 AM »
Hiya Hood, Is it possible to expand the CSMIO to that many inputs?

If so then i can heartily recommend the CS_Labs range of controllers to the OP, great units. :)

Edit...

Just looked, max capacity is 192 ins and 96 outs so yes go for a CS_Labs unit :)

That will also offer 6 channels of motion as well.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:34:07 AM by Davek0974 »
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 11:18:28 AM »
I've been looking at ESS and the DMM AC servos from CNC4PC. I'm not clear on axis Homing. Can someone please clear this up Hood. Can I use the z pulse output on the sero drive and send it to the ESS for homing along with a machine mounted home switch. I don't need as much I/O as originally thought. The ESS and DMM servos sounds really good bang for the buck. I have been looking at the HiCON but at over $ 1200 to do the same job as the ESS for half the price. Thoughts please.

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 08:33:45 PM »
AFAIK ESS doesn't support index homing itself. What you would normally do is move the servo until the home switch is triggered, slowly back off until it releases, then activate the servo drives internal homing and wait until the drive signals it's homed.

How much variety will there be in the parts?
My first thought would of been a PLC, however you may want to look at a KFlop?
A KFlop would allow you a lot more flexibility in terms of programming (think HiCON/Galil), and gives you options to run standalone (you can program into the KFlop's flash memory what you want it to do and have it run automatically when powered on), or with a custom screen to control what you want done (could be industrial touch screen with buttons so operators are limited to what can be controlled, or even physical buttons).

However, without more details about what you're wanting to do, it's hard to give advise.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 11:39:09 PM »
I hear ya. They already have a gantry loader on a Mori lathe. It programs with standard G and M codes. I suspect we will build 3 or more of them for the 30 identical lathes he has. Ideally it, they will be portable so move in front and plug in. Teach it the new program and go. I was leaning towards the HiCON for several reasons, good documentation and fast response to technical questions. They have a good line of AC Servos as well. Thanks for your input and I'll keep posting.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 06:43:32 AM »
There was talk a long time ago about the ESS doing Index homing. I haven't updated my plugin for years so not sure if it has been done or not. I don't require it on the lathe I have the ESS on as my servo drives do  the index homing internally.

ESS is 5v I/O not sure about the Hicon or for that matter the kFlop, but the CSMIO is 24v.
Industry standard in machine tools is 24v (for good reason) so if going with a controller that is 5v I/O then you may have to make up boards to convert 24v to 5v and vice versa.

Now ESS versus other controllers. The ESS ideally needs breakout boards so factor that into your costs. Also spindle control, if needed, would have to be added, again adding to costs.
As said not sure about the Hicon but the CSMIO has all that on board including analogue I/O for spindle control or feed override pots etc.

So what I would say is look at what you need then add up the costs of all the additional things you would need if going ESS or similar route then compare it to controllers such as CSMIO/Hicon etc, you may find the CSMIO/Hicon are not so expensive after all.
Hood

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 07:04:41 AM »
A basic KFlop is a mix of 3.3V and 5V, but the various add-on boards can give 24V IO.

I like this video for demonstrating just what the KFlop is capable of doing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSONYPXe3bE
You could control that via Mach just by providing basic 6 axis g-code, as all the kinematic calcs are handled by the KFlop.

Dynomotion have also fairly recently added 5-axes gimbal support, where all you need to do is set the radiuses, and the KFlop can handle all the kinematics and compensate for tool offsets - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7KF9tNmQFA (skip to about 2:40 to see the simulation) or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSnjGD2edGE shows a real machine.
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 10:09:28 AM »
OK Hood I think you have me convinced on the CSMIO. For the $699 US for the 6 axis controller and it comes with plenty of I/O and the terminal connection block with ribbon cable for a clean install. I think it's definitely worth it. I may still want to use the PoKeys for the jog box instead of purchasing the extra unit from CS- Labs. Now the Servos. Thanks again for all your input and I may call upon it again.