Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:07:46 AM

Author Topic: Machine had a another brain fart.  (Read 6873 times)

Re: Machine had a another brain fart.
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 03:25:06 PM »
Good point, Hood.  If the screen is showing the correct tool path (you can check this also on the "Tool Path" screen which has a much larger image to view) then it is most likely a trouble with the machine itself and not Mach3.  So switching to Mach4 wouldn't help.  Mach3 is still a good viable program to use.  I have not seen a need to change to 4 myself so let's figure out what is going wrong instead of adding another variable to the mix.

Since it sounds like your Y axis is the one having trouble based on what I'm reading in this thread, could you try swapping the X and Y motors?  If you do that and the symptom changes to the X axis then it's the motor.  If it stays with the Y axis then I suspect electronic noise is the culprit.  Proper grounding cable/wire routing is the best way to deal with that and there are whole discussions around eliminating noise.  I am much less than an expert in this area so I would differ to others to chime in on that.  So try the motor swap if it's not too difficult on your machine and let us know what you find from that.

The one thing that bothers me is that Auto Zero issue you had.  This still sounds like a DIR line issue, but with a different axis.  You may have to adjust the Step Pulse setting in the Motor Tuning screen.  What it sounds like now that I think about it is that the step pulses may be starting too soon after setting the DIR line high/low (depending on direction) and the stepper driver does not have a chance to sense the direction change before starting the motor spinning.  Most stepper drivers have some minimum required delay between changing the DIR signal and receiving the first pulse on the STEP line and if the first pulse occurs too early it could spin the motor in the wrong direction briefly.  This would account for the .150 difference in your Y zero operation and would also account for the brief push down before retraction on your Auto Zero operation.

Keep us posted on your findings,

Stephen "Highspeed" Kruse

EDIT:  While posting this, I see Hood also replied.  Hood, what are your thoughts on that DIR/STEP timing I discussed above?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 03:27:01 PM by Highspeed1964 »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 03:43:01 PM »
It is a long time since I used steppers but I do know some drives require a wider pulse and also require a certain active state for the step, whether that is Hi or Lo depends on the drives.
Hood
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 03:48:15 PM »
What about changing the step pulse and dir pulse setting in motor tuning. I dropped the velocity down from 147 to 100 and changed step and dir pulse from 0 to 3. Im going to try that before i go switching motors out.
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 03:49:39 PM »
Sounds like a good plan to me.
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 04:11:20 PM »
Ok reren the program. Was doing fine then it tried to cut a big chunk of the corner off rechecked my zero and x is 1.4796 off and y is -.5190. I checked the toolpath screen and there is a white line where the too went through thw material. Ill try and post pics
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 04:18:06 PM »
My phone wont let me post a pic.
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 05:08:50 PM »
Could this problem have been caused by a bad program. Ive been useing a usb stick to transferprograms to the machine and ive been changing the programs alittle and saveing over the old ones with the same name. I resaved the program under a new name on the usb stick and ran it 3 time with no problem yet. Is it possible there was an error in the programing

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 09:31:40 PM »
It is possible that it was some sort of corruption.
Are you copying the programme from the stick to the machines hard drive or are you running from the stick? If the latter then that could be your problem as it is not recommended to run code direct from a stick.

Hood
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 12:20:55 PM »
I save the program to the stick then load it to mach3 directly from the stick. I would run the program once and was usualy fine. The problems would usually start after it was finished the program and would regenerate for a new piece of material

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 04:48:44 PM »
Are you using one of those Chinese 6030 controllers?

rich