Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:30:58 PM

Poll

Wich "mach" version will be the right one?

mach1,2 or 3?
2 (100%)
Bridgeport SeriesII Boss 6
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Suggestion required for Bridgeport CNC series II Boss 6  (Read 8097 times)

Suggestion required for Bridgeport CNC series II Boss 6
« on: March 15, 2006, 08:05:25 PM »
Pleople, I'm from south america, got no one to help me on this issue.
The machine is an used Bridgeport Seriess II CNC, Boss 6 control from 1.981.-
Any suggestions on wich "mach" version will be the right one is what I'm asking.
Regards for every one!!
Thanks
Jerry7.
Re: Suggestion required for Bridgeport CNC series II Boss 6
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 09:02:06 PM »
Jerry we are running Mach3 on a BP series 2 here in the states. It has been a good runnig mill and we make many parts on it about every day!
So go with Mach3 :)
I also run an EZTrack that is the same as an EZpath and it SUCKS HARD!!! I hate that thing!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 09:03:52 PM by Barker806 »
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 06:53:14 AM »
Thanks Barker806 for your reply. What about that "opto isolating board" required in order not to fry the PC while establishing communication? Have you heard?
Jerry7
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 07:06:55 AM »
I have used the following and been very happy
http://www.campbelldesigns.com/
http://www.pmdx.com/
Also I am setting up a G100 on a mill now from http://www.geckodrive.com

Hope that is a help.
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Hood

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 02:42:23 PM »
My vote is for Mach3
What are you planning to do to the mill, complete retrofit or just the breakout board?
Hood
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 03:59:23 PM »
Thanks for asking Hood.
Machine arrived with no data storing device (tape,tape reader-whatever). Programming capability is too narrow.I just want to work in a Windows based software that could offer me more resources as well as programming options.People from other Forums told me about mach3, as well as to stay alert in including an opto-isolating board in order not to fry the PC. Is this true? I'm very new at all this of cnc milling stuff,so I beg for help on what work sequence do I need to follow. Thanks a lot. Jerry7.

Hood

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 04:10:29 PM »
Jerry
What I was actually meaning was are you going to replace the whole control or are you going to try and use the BOSS control and just use a breakout board to connect to a PC. I have no experience with the latter but have seen some on CNC Zone who have taken this route, they had to make their own breakout boards I think.
  Obviously this would be the cheapest option but whether its the best is up to you to decide. My thinking is that the BOSS control is not a patch on modern drives and also its getting old and expensive to repair/replace parts. Modern drives such as Geckos are easily replaced and fairly cheap in comparison and should be a lot more reliable, so that is why I took the complete retro route.

Hood
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 06:15:38 PM »
I see Hood.
Let's pretend we'll take that complete retro option,Ex.Gecko,etc.Will I need to change my original stepper motor into servos too? because they are still running very good.
How much do you think it will cost,to make this BP run under this option of yours? Just aprox.

Hood

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 06:25:49 PM »
Jerry
 I opted to junk my orig steppers because I already had modern Hybrid steppers on a manual series 1 Bridgeport that I converted to CNC and they should be better than the 20+yr old Bridgeport ones. Actually they are still on the manual conversion and my BOSS is not completed yet. I am waiting until I move to my new workshop before I do the final swap over of motors and limits, should be soon I hope.
 Anyway heres a breakdown of all costs including the purchase of the mill and subsequent selling of motors and BOSS boards on eBay.

Series1 CNC = £400
916oz/in steppers = £270
Gecko G202 = £230
PMDX 122 breakout board = £45
Nemicon MPG = £45
Limit switches (Industrial Hobbies optical)= £85
power supply (could be salvaged from original controls) = £50
Various bits and bobs (switches,wires, materials for brackets, etc) £200
17inch Touch screen = £260
Keyboard with touchpad =£40
Computer = £150
Mach3 software = £85
Time = free
Sold parts of the CNC that I didn't need and got £300 back
total = £1500 = approx $2600

If you opt to go with the orig steppers John S has some wiring diags for connecting them to geckos, I will see if I can find a link or hopefully John will see this and post it himself.

Hood