Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:36:57 AM

Author Topic: Driver Connection  (Read 8055 times)

Driver Connection
« on: June 07, 2016, 09:54:29 PM »
I have seen various ways to connect my pokeys57cnc to a step per driver. What is the recommended wiring configuration? I would imagine if this doesn't exist, it would make a good sticky.  The documentation from pokeys does not show this.
Currently have step to pul+, dir to dir+, and axenable to enable+ with pul-, dir-, and enable- connected to motor connector ground. It seems very noisy and motor stutters a lot more than I've seen with other controllers. I copied this setup in another thread, but is backwards from what I've used with other controllers.
Re: Driver Connection
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 08:10:39 PM »
Nobody? Guess I will try how i would normally wire and see what happens. Hard to believe a much cheaper control produces a quiet, smooth motion compared to this. The fact that a pokeys rep hasn't responded to what seems to be a simple request  and basic requirement of operation is a bit disturbing. Drivers can be wired and run with different configurations, however the controller should have a recommended or documented connection diagram. Am i missing something???
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 02:57:47 AM »
"connected to motor connector ground" if this is motors power supply ground then its wrong, you should have connected ground from the pokeys57cnc.

I have my pokeys running servo motors perfectly without issues in motion.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 07:19:23 AM »
Yes, I have the pokeys motor connector ground. There many grounds on pokeys. I was just specifying where it was connected on the device. Are you using the 5v as com and pokeys step and dir to (-) pul and dir on driver? I guess the real question is pokeys considered pnp or open collector?
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 05:45:37 PM »
Well I designed my own interface for the 57E with differential line drivers on the outputs . So can't answer directly but looking at the board manual the motor connectors have a STEP and ground wire for it and DIR and ground and its not stated are these grounds the same or conveniently put to a separate wire for easy wiring or something else like wiring schematic for their POSTEP.
First you should try to use STEP and DIR only without enable (don't know which drives you use but any chinese dont need this signal connected to work) with their ground pair ... so pin3 dir , pin4 dir gnd, pin5 step, pin6 step gnd.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 06:40:52 PM »
I believe you are missing my dilemna. I'm not concerned about where or how to ground. I need to know if it is best driven high or low. Either 5v is common or ground is common. Most drivers can be operated both ways, however, most of the time the controller determines which to employ.
 As I said, single axis cheapo $40 chinese controller is silent as can be with same motor and driver and just cannot believe the issue with pokeys is standard fare and not a result of wiring error. The motors do work though.
 Hopefully have time to reconfigure and play with it some more this evening.

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 07:31:08 PM »
Well its clear that 5V can't be common as the manual states SIGNAL , GND so when the signal is active (step or dir) its putting 5V to the signal pin or so it seems. So you cant wire 5V to the drives input optocoupler (depending on the drive you have not stated which you use) and pull other pin down to gnd to signal a step or dir.

to repeat myself  pin3 to dir+ , pin4 to dir-, pin5 to stp+, pin6 to stp-. connecting every - pin on the the drive together might be wrong (because each one is a separate optocoupler input with its own +/- pins) depending on the controller and how it handles outputs. If you wire differential outputs connecting all - together then 1) it will not work 2) might damage the outputs

Look at this pdf from CS Labs about wiring differential outputs
http://www.cs-lab.eu/en/upload/pdf/CSMIO_IP%20EN%20differential%20outputs_rev2.pdf

Until someone from PO Labs comes out with an answer I can't tell you which type are the outputs on pokeys57cnc, single ended or differential, you might try measuring with a multimeter if motor connector pins 4 and 6 are the same.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 08:24:44 PM »
Just confirmed 5v as common works as well. Both configurations are in Leadshine manual. That is 5v shared to + pul, +dir, +enable and pokeys step to -pul and dir to -dir.
And  I would bet my bottom dollar disconnecting the shared 5v from enable will still see operation. Yep.
4 different wiring and all see motor operation. This isn't my first rodeo. I've used 3 different controllers, 4  different drivers and 4 different motors. It doesnt soound like you've had much experience with drivers and controllers. I appreciate your input, but 'm looking for a reps take on best configuration. So far it seems to be the last. Exactly how my single axis roller table works.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 09:09:44 PM »

Well, just confirmed it is the driver causing the issues. Wired up the Automation Direct 6575 and absolutely brilliant. No feedback or noise and very high rpm with perfect smoothness and quiet. Not sure why the Leadshine works well with my other Contoller and not the pokeys,  just happy the noise is gone and I have a viable setup. Again for those interested-
PO step to -step/-pul,  PO dir to -dir, and PO 5v shared to +step/+pul and +dir to +dir.
 After all this, I cannot recommend Leadshine drivers and Pokeys. I can say Automation Direct 6575 works amazing with no chirping or noise of any kind.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 11:19:09 AM »
Just to reiterate and clarify for those finding this looking for answers for wiring driver and looking at drivers. You should not hear a chirping or singing when your motors are moving. I've seen all too many youtube videos where you  hear this in the background as a machine is moving. A good driver and controller will not produce this. You will hear some whirring or slight whining, but not chirping. As I stated earlier, Leadshine drivers had worked fine on another controller, but for some reason, not Pokeys, having tried three wiring configurations. Leadshine DM856 driver and motors are 4amp, so no issue there.

Most drivers can be wired in multiple ways and work correctly. This is to match different controller configurations. Unfortunately Pokeys does not come with clear instructions on how to wire correctly to a driver what type of connection to make, while drivers usually show multiple instances or examples. Pokeys does refer to it's i/o's as open collector and galvanic isolated. Not clear if that includes the motor connections or just the i//o shown in documentation. Here is a little guide explaining the sinking / sourcing concept -http://library.automationdirect.com/sinking-sourcing-concepts/
 In a nutshell, if you have wires that are shared(tied to each other) and of positive polarity, this is sourcing input. If you have shared wires that are of negative polarity this is sinking.