Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:16:59 AM

Author Topic: Why does my router "Clonk"?  (Read 4314 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Why does my router "Clonk"?
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 06:37:47 PM »
I would suggest you have someone look at the pulse signal from pc  and the drive with an o'scope.
May be that you have ringing on the pulses.

RICH
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 05:01:54 AM »
Ok guys, a bit more info. I've checked the pulse train to the drive with a scope and there does not appear to be any "ringing" or interference there. I then tried different feed rates to try to see if any were worse than others. The problem is particularly bad at between 400-650 mm/min becoming ridiculous at about 570. I've taken a short video as suggested and attach here, as you will see or should I say hear there is a big problem. As I said previously this seems to disappear completely at rapid feed rates.

Video here https://youtu.be/d1a2sbQnat0

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 05:26:07 AM »
WOW, that sounds rough ;)

My only guess is resonance in the motor, I have not met this yet so have no idea how to tune it out if it is that. Some say adding mass to the motor shaft is a fix but only what I've read.
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 05:37:18 AM »
Hi Dave, thanks for your input, that does sound like a reasonable assessment. The problem was there when I first got the machine with an NcStudio controller. It was my motivating force behind upgrading to the Mach 3 platform. In desperation I will try adding some mass to the motor shaft or would changing the driver current settings maybe help?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 05:41:16 AM »
The current settings should be matched to the motor I think, up to but not over the motor spec. Micro-steps is usually 1000 i think but can be others, try a google on stepper motor resonance.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 06:10:02 AM »
Dave, you may have just solved my problem. I did a little research on motor resonance and it's a little cleared now. Before adding mass to he motor I decided to play with the current drive, now halved from the original manufacturers setting and low and behold everything is much smoother and after 10 x 100mm cycles up and down the axis has returned to exactly zero. Tada!

It all goes to prove there's a lot to learn and often the simplest things can have the most effect. I'll continue to play with the settings to see if I can perfect them.

Regards and thanks again.