Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:10:00 AM

Author Topic: OK, I give up! How do I get ACAD dxf files to open in LCAM 2.02?  (Read 17493 times)

Re: OK, I give up! How do I get ACAD dxf files to open in LCAM 2.02?
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 03:20:37 AM »
I wonder if our different computers are handling things differently. I am running Mach3 ver. R2.0.065 and LCAM 2.02 (just released within the last few days, I believe).

Now I'm just speculating.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 03:22:25 AM by TetraLite »
-Mark
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 03:42:50 AM »
Hi Mark

I think you are quite right about the different computers , I run against different problems that act different on different computers.

Chip
Do you mean that your files all in plasma mode make an error ?
I used a file of mine (the same from tread no toolpath (beer.dxf)) (that you helpt with)  and that load fine in plasma mode so that is also making a point that the inside of a computer is crusial.

Greetings:
Willem
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 03:44:45 AM by W.Jansen »

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 10:49:58 AM »
Hi, Willem

Looked at it today, It's not All Files, Just Some of them.

Thanks, Chip
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 11:41:47 AM »
Hi chip

I hope that the team of programmers can do someting with all this information , for me it is all abacadabra (dutch for i have no clue).
But despite of some annoying things these programs are very usefull for me and i learn every day a bit more of cnc milling and turning.

Greetings:
Willem
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
I don't know if this helps or not but when i use the save as command for the dxf file, it won't import however if i use export to a dxf file Lcam will import no problem.  The file size is only slightly different.  I don't know what the difference the difference is between save as versus export.  I just know the Lcam will open the export but not the save as file.
Have a nice Day
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 07:28:42 PM »
You must be using a version of ACAD other than 2005. In 2005 the File, Export... option doesn't do .dxf files. I'm still pretty happy just converting my ACAD dxf files using A9tech's converter. I have found that I can create my ACAD files as .dwg files and then convert them to .dxf with the A9tech program and that works also. Being that the A9tech program is free I figure my problem is solved. Would still like to know what version of ACAD you have.

Thanks for the input, wnevels!
-Mark
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 07:44:47 PM »
I use IntelliCAD but it will save/export just about any version of ACAD file, i use the 2004version.  I was having the same problem and switched to the export as a last ditch effort and haven't had any problems since.
Have a nice Day
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 09:17:58 PM »
I suspect that maybe every different program that saves or exports a so-called "AutoCad" .dxf may not save it exactly the same as Autocad and I also suspect that most of the testing, if not all, of LCAM has been done with files that weren't generated with ACAD (am I wrong? I don't know!). There must be some subtle differences that account for why some files load and some don't. That's my guess. And that's all it is -- a guess! Unless LCAM gets revised to except any .dxf file from any source, I'm guessing that we all have to find our own way of getting our files loaded. Once they do get in there, it sure is an easy way to get your G-code output (in spite of the bugs that still exist). Makes it all worth while!
-Mark

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007, 10:14:53 PM »
Unless LCAM gets revised to except any .dxf file from any source, I'm guessing that we all have to find our own way of getting our files loaded.

V12 .dxf's are the most univesally accepted, so always use those. Art and Brian have said since day one that they want all .dxf's to load, so send them to them or post them here.

The reason you want to use V12 is that Autodesk adds to the format on a yearly basis, and few programs will read everything in the newer .dxf's. V12 should work fine, and make it easier for Art and Brian.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 10:09:23 PM »
Have you tried shutting down your ACad program when opening .dxf files in Lazycam, that works for me with ACad Lite..