Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:57:06 PM

Author Topic: LPT1 and LPT2 Issues  (Read 2478 times)

LPT1 and LPT2 Issues
« on: May 15, 2016, 02:24:26 PM »
Hello...last XP PC fried after winter (was in cold garage)...when started again trying to get my machine going used a new old xp pc. Now LPT2 doesn't appear to be sending a signal. All set up and installed everything the same.

Can there be a different need from an older XP PC to a newer XP PC on the switching between EPP, ECP or PCI ? BIOS only shows for LPT1...and it is set tyo EPP/ECP.

In Device Manager, LPT1 is shown as ECP LPT...LPT2 is shown as PCI LPT.  LTP card supposedly supports ECP but how to tell if this even the problem.

My Y Slave drive B is on LPT2. Drive A is also and it also sends no signals. I have confirmed motors and cables work when moved around. 5 axis controller...one slaved...one rotary.

I have found some comments that a fully ECP card is needed but can that be confirmed? Why did it work with previous PC?

So close and yet so far...any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: LPT1 and LPT2 Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 04:59:46 AM »
Just a thought...

Use Windows Device Manager to check the Port Address's of both LPT1 & LPT2. Then check that the correct Port Address's have been entered in Mach3 for Port #1 and Port #2.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 07:25:53 PM »
Hi Tweakie...thanks for that.  I have indeed gone round and round with this.  I have read that XP may not report the proper address in Device Manager...I don't what to do about that. But Mach shows exactly what Device Manager shows...with X0 in front.
I have set up an additional computer...a new LPT Card....switched every wire I can think of to prove it is not something else.

I was just trying to get a volt measure from the ports/cable and can't find a wire small enough to fit in there to get a tester on.

Where on the Gecko can I check voltage from a signal? Is that an option?  I cannot see anywhere else to check for voltage...pretty enclosed system.

Frustrated beyond words...well almost.  ;-)
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 09:39:28 PM »
DOH...solved it...a super simple Mach3 setting was wrong.  On LPT2 there is an option for Pins 2-9 as Inputs. It was selected.
I was reviewing my setup pics and saw "inputs" which is like an e-stop...not a motor...so unchecked that and everything scurries about!  Sorry for taking any of your time.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 01:28:41 AM »
I am pleased that you found the problem  :)

Tweakie.
PEACE