Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:07:17 PM

Author Topic: Do you use Soft Limits if you have limit switches on your machine? advantages??  (Read 3000 times)

Do you use Soft Limits if you have limit switches on your machine?

advantages/disadvantages of enabling soft limits??

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Yes i use both.

The limits are never hit in normal use as they cause a reset condition.

The soft limits are set 2mm before the limits so the machine slows and stops just short.

With the soft-limits set right it is practically impossible to hit a limit switch :)
Okay...my next question would be...

As a hypothetical example, lets say you're cutting something and for whatever reason(misjudged cutting area etc) it would want to cut past your limits....when it comes to your soft limits....does it cause a reset condition or does it continue to run the code? start cutting again when it comes back past your soft limit again?
so basically i would ref all home to reset my machine co-ordinates, enabled my soft limits...

newbie here...lots of question

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
If you have soft limits set, working, and turned on, when you press cycle start on a code file that wants to go outside your limits, you get a "Soft limit Warning on X / Y / Z" message, you can then OK the message or cancel and fix it.

The first thing upon starting up is a ref-all function or the machine has no idea where it really is.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 02:06:14 PM by Davek0974 »
i'm confused..."oath message"?

so it performs the same function as the machine hitting your limit switch then?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Blasted autocorrect ;)

OK the message

Not quite - it stops the motion BUT it does not cause a reset condition so you can jog away again.
i see...okay....so it serves the same purpose but it may save you having to reset your machine if you hit limit switches without soft limits enabled.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Yep, you won't hit the limits if soft limits are set up properly