Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:43:30 PM

Author Topic: New user  (Read 3476 times)

Offline KT

•  2 2
    • View Profile
New user
« on: March 01, 2016, 06:59:17 PM »
 I have just purchased a 30/40 mill and having trouble understanding how to use it. I have looked at a few tutorials but cannot find one that shows me how to load a G code and run the machine. Is it that simple or is there more to it?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: New user
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 05:00:38 AM »
Welcome.

It is that simple but like all things they are a lot easier once we know how. This series of documents may make helpful reading... http://www.vectric.com/support/introduction-to-cnc.html

It may also be helpful to read the Mach3 manual (skip the parts that you don't understand and return to them another day) http://www.machsupport.com/help-learning/product-manuals/

Just take your time, learning as you go, it's a very exciting journey.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 11:52:30 PM »
it is never "that simple"   as a matter of fact, its not easy at all.  Hell if it was easy everybody would be doing it.
Running a CNC machine no matter how big or small is not as simple as loading material and pressing go.

There are several aspects from Drawing the part in CAD, to creating toolpath in CAM to setting up the machine to run the toolpath.   This stuff is not easy. 
learn in baby steps. 
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 02:19:05 AM »
Hi,
I found when first starting that using the 'teach' function was useful. I could manually program a set of moves and then re-run the
program to see how Gcode is displayed and executed.
Likewise some of the wizards are good, like a bolt hole ring or a line of holes can demonstrate hoe Gcode is constructed.
There is a lot of learning involved and can be frustrating at times but hugely satisfying mostly. Have fun!!!

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 07:30:40 AM »
KT:

I remember those days.  That was me about 11 years ago.  Basically the way I look at it is this: figure out where you're going to generate the Gcode, like some CAD program or Vectric is what I use, then you "load gcode" in Mach and Mach runs the machine for you.  So you need two programs: One to make the files, and Mach to run the files.  Yes, you can make stuff directly in Mach, I've never done it, Vectric VCarve Pro has just been so easy for me to learn.  I've been using it from the beginning.

What program do you use to draw?

Bill

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 08:28:08 AM »
I learnt nearly all of it off Tweakies website http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/index.htm, worth a couple of hours going through it.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 08:50:33 AM »
Come on Stew, you can’t learn it all from my website because I am not yet halfway through the learning process – I still have miles to go yet.  ;)

I do appreciate that some may find that it is not easy to learn CNC and may struggle with it but nowadays they are in a very small minority. CAD/CAM software (such as Vectric) has moved on leaps and bounds in recent years and it is just so easy to design a part, create the Gcode, run Mach and produce the goods. We don’t necessarily need to know or understand exactly ‘how it works’ we just need to know exactly ‘how to use it’ (perhaps a bit like driving a car).
In an earlier post someone said ‘Hell if it was easy everyone would be doing it’ well guess what – looking at the numbers of new members to our forum who are starting out using Mach4, everybody is doing it.  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 11:28:12 AM »
Don't be afraid to tackle it.  Just go for it!  Of course, be as safe as you can, there is no substitute for common sense, but don't be intimidated by it.  Learning CNC on my own has kind of given me a new outlook on life:  I'm not afraid to tackle anything, question anything, and try to always look for the more efficient workaround.

Offline KT

•  2 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 06:33:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I have explored some options and moving forward.