Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 09:09:25 AM

Author Topic: Spindle servo drive not working with mach 3  (Read 2217 times)

Spindle servo drive not working with mach 3
« on: February 28, 2016, 10:14:04 PM »
Hi All,
       Currently doing a complete electronic conversion on a old cnc lathe. The lathe came with a SEM servo motor that was powering the spindle. I purchased a DG4s series driver that uses step/dir to operate my spindle. I went ahead and started wiring up the drive to the oem encoder and servo. I get power, no errors no smoke! Once in mach 3 I setup the correct port and pins, step/dir and within the spindle tab I have the disable spindle relays box checked, and use spindle motor output, step/dir motor also checked. I go into manual mode and simply type in a basic code like g97 s100 m03. The chuck begins to turn without any issues. It will even work fine with m04. My problem is that I can't turn the spindle off. I type in m05 and it says the spindle stops on mach 3 but my actual spindle is still moving. Only way I am able to get it to turn off is by shutting my entire machine down. btw the spindle servo drive is wired into a c10 bob.

Does this sound like a wiring error or am I missing something in the mach3 settings?

Re: Spindle servo drive not working with mach 3
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 09:44:57 PM »
I'm not sure how to delete a post but I went ahead a decided to go a different route with a different drive.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 10:52:38 AM »
Is the spindle working OK now ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 05:23:32 PM »
Sadly no I gave up on it. Decided to sell all the electronics