Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:07:45 AM

Author Topic: M4 plugins + SDK - Tutorials, walkthroughs, videos??  (Read 1985 times)

M4 plugins + SDK - Tutorials, walkthroughs, videos??
« on: February 06, 2016, 02:14:27 AM »
 M4 plugins.... is there any guidance about regarding writing plugins  (yup I have access to the SDK)

.... life short.... projects many probably a task too much for me anyway....

just curious as there was a few tutorials and videos about for M3 plugins when VS2003 was the rage and then VS2008....

... more tinkering than new product on horizon

Thanks for anyone's time and guidance in advance

Rob
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: M4 plugins + SDK - Tutorials, walkthroughs, videos??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 06:26:16 AM »
Hi Rob,

If there are, I am not aware of them.
But, take that with a grain of salt, since there is a BUNCH of crap that I am
un-aware of..........  :)

I have done a few M4 plugs, and (for me at least), here are the hurtles to jump:
1.  You must set up your VS2008, or VS2013 with the environmental's set, and lib links, and post build event macros. As per the plugin documentation.
2.  You have to download and install, the WX 3.0 SDK, and build the debug first then the runtime on your dev comp. (this is a HUGE pain in the A$$ to do.........)
3.  (don't forget to put in the correct, stuff in your post build for your developer key, and that needs to reflect
in your plugin source as well).
4.  Once you have done all that, Then try and build the OEM issued, SIM plugin but change the developer name code to your key-name.
5.  Build it, as a debug first, and see if SIM "Runs" like it did from the factory so to speak. If it works and does NOT crash your M4, Then you are ready to do your own tweaking.

IF there was some video "How To's" on this, I would be all over them just like you would be.
It would be AWESOME for Brian or Steve to do a: How to make a plugin for M4 (for dummies...), step by step.
I would easily see: 
Video 1 "Setting up your environment",
V2 "How to compile Widgets",
V3 "Anatomy of a plugin" (detailed explanation of each part/section of the Sim plugin and what you need to know to modify it for your purposes).
V4 Trouble shooting, common gotcha's

Unfortunately, both Brian, Steve, Bob, Greg and other current OEM or 3rd party vendors are very bizzy with their product lines and time is expensive to cater to the small percent that would do plugs.......
But...... I would pay for those vids if they existed.

scott

fun times
Re: M4 plugins + SDK - Tutorials, walkthroughs, videos??
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 08:30:19 AM »
Scott, Thanks very much for taking the time to provide some guidance and at least a point in the right direction, I'll give it a go.

Time is money, and I too would be happy to contribute to the cost of the guidance and pay for them.

The catch is stopping them going viral and the law of diminishing returns, or acceptance that you will get an ever decreasing return on them.

Webinar?  Or something like that.  The problem is some of the audience may be just starting out like me (know enough to be dangerous) and some transferring from years of c experience.
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”