Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:05:57 AM

Author Topic: Help Can't get steppers to move!!!  (Read 24085 times)

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
Re: Help Can't get steppers to move!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2016, 12:26:37 AM »
As well you loose torque when raising microsteps. Do most you guys agree with this?
Nope. But the bloggers often think so.

if I can switch that easy.
A word of caution. DO NOT EVER switch units during a program!!!!! Sadness wil follow almost invariably.

DC servos with optical encoders, not steppers. Single step resolution of 0.8 microns.

Cheers
Roger

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 12:44:23 AM »
I suggest you go to the Gecko Site and read a  lot of the info they have about steppers, etc.
Doing that will answer a lot of questions or misconceptions you may have.
No use repeating the same info here.

Just for poops and laughs..............

Use 10us on my drives
Steps per unit are over 253000 for my engraving machine................ theoretical resolution better than 0.0000004".
Max  velocity 5 IPM.
You asked ..............  ;)

RICH

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 01:49:44 AM »
hahahaha Nice Rich....

Well I was thinking about in the very near future to throw encoders on. I found some Omron 2000ppr three phase encoders for $25 a pop on eBay. would it be worth it?

Way different subject here, Do any of you use touch probes? Any of you made your own? I've been looking a lot  into designs a thought of making one. I have a nifty trick/design I'm gonna try in the next few days. Have you seen anyone use a Piezo Transducer, and have it flex when probe moves? wonder if I can get that to work, I'll post the build up if it'll work as planned.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:01:55 AM by nissan20det »
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2016, 03:11:44 PM »
never mind... :( I thought I had a million dollar Idea lol. some people have done it.

Well what do you guys think.

1. Piezo with a lot of amplification (Simple) have all parts..

2. Accelerometer/inclinometer 256LSB/g = 256mv/g -l do have parts but digital means ill have to use a Arduino to convert a Bit amount to a switched 5v.

3. actual inclinometer 16V/g - 280mv/degree hella sensitive!!!

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2016, 03:24:32 PM »
All of those require actual deflection of the sensing tip, either to get piezo voltage output or to tilt the inclinometer.
What the world really needs is a touch probe which does not need any deflection - which senses touch.

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2016, 05:36:18 PM »
ya well thats not hard to do there all like that anyway. And why dont they do it with electrical contact. So Say probe with a wire down to the tip, Tip being a copper ball and having 5v just being contacted through your work peice? of course your stock would have to be conductive. don't some touch plates act like that?

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2016, 05:52:56 PM »
Conductive touch probes? That idea has been in use for ... I dunno, maybe 50 years or more. I really haven't a clue when it was first invented. Does not work on insulators of course.

Conductive touch plates for the  axis? Yeah, just as ancient.

It might be amusing to do a patent search on the idea, to see how many times it has been patented. Probably would not put the PO in a good light, but I have not bothered.

cheers
Roger

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2016, 04:52:51 AM »
never mind... :( I thought I had a million dollar Idea lol. some people have done it.

Well what do you guys think.

1. Piezo with a lot of amplification (Simple) have all parts..

2. Accelerometer/inclinometer 256LSB/g = 256mv/g -l do have parts but digital means ill have to use a Arduino to convert a Bit amount to a switched 5v.

3. actual inclinometer 16V/g - 280mv/degree hella sensitive!!!

Why not just use a simple microswitch - I fitted a probe to my plasma machine and the accuracy is about 0.1mm repeatable. The downforce to trip the switch is a mere 3gm.

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2016, 05:35:25 AM »
Hi Dave

A microswitch might work fine if 0.1 mm is sufficient accuracy.
But you need something a shade better if you are looking for 0.01 mm or 10 um. For me, that would be the worst case.
Going below that (to under 5 um) gets even more $$$. I would be looking for this.

Cheers
Roger

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2016, 06:06:51 AM »
Ah, I see, thats the trouble with only using plasma - its not that accurate and does not need to be.

:)