Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:28:11 PM

Author Topic: Help Can't get steppers to move!!!  (Read 24081 times)

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
Re: Help Can't get steppers to move!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 04:29:06 AM »
thats a sideways picture of the pulse output signal from breakout board on a scope.
Really?
It looks like someone may have hacked the URL, because that 1st photo comes from anysex.com (it says so on the photo), and what the girl is doing to the man has nothing to do with CNC.
Perhaps a Mod needs to check?

Cheers
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 04:38:44 AM »
HAHAHAHAHA WTF really??? OMG wow ya wasnt me... I now straightened it but I posted this...

and maybe its just you cuz I see what I posted??

Or do you mean the 1st 1st pic? that was the ports and pins 1st page.. that was a url I didnt know at that point this forum allowed attachments

But if you see somthing like that click the report to moderator on bottom right of that post and say what you see so they can take it off
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:41:31 AM by nissan20det »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 06:04:42 AM »
thats a sideways picture of the pulse output signal from breakout board on a scope.
Really?
It looks like someone may have hacked the URL, because that 1st photo comes from anysex.com (it says so on the photo), and what the girl is doing to the man has nothing to do with CNC.
Perhaps a Mod needs to check?

Cheers

Changed images from URL posting to actual image posting - should solve the problem.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 02:56:25 AM »
I figured it out!!!!!!

dip switch pannel is backward on mine for some reason  hahahaha Saweet!!!!

Okay what do you guys think I should go with for 5mm lead ball screws- unit/inch

400 steps per rev - 800*5.08 = 2032

800 steps per rev - 800*5.08 = 4064

1600 steps per rev - 1600*5.08 = 8128

And also does changing the kernel speed change the wine sound of the motors?

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 03:05:57 AM »
For a start, if the ball screw is metric, I would go METRIC!
Trying to go imperial is just a waste of effort, and (dare I suggest it?) archaic.

5 mm / 400 steps => 12.5 um/step: coarse!
5 mm / 800 => 6 um/step
5 mm / 1600  => 3 um/step - barely tolerable.

Cheers
Roger

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 05:52:54 PM by Chaoticone »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 08:50:19 AM »
Trying to go imperial is just a waste of effort, and (dare I suggest it?) archaic.

I disagree with ya racffin........and we will need to agree to disagree.

Your motor setup ( ie; steps per unit etc. settings ) should be based on the default units you will normally work in.
Matters not if the screws are metric.

Use the lowest kernel speed you need for the velocity required  as there is no advantage to going higher.

There is no advantage to micro stepping great than 10. Micro stepping increases theoretical resolution and provides for smoother stepper operation.

RICH

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 04:28:01 PM »
Hi Rich

Chuckle.

Cheers
Roger

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 05:52:17 PM »
For a start, if the ball screw is metric, I would go METRIC!

5 mm / 400 steps => 12.5 um/step: coarse!
5 mm / 800 => 6 um/step
5 mm / 1600  => 3 um/step - barely tolerable.

Cheers
Roger

This is bad advice. Rich is right. Your native units should be the units you work in no matter what the screws, racks, etc. are in. Do the math to convert your steps per unit.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 06:11:57 PM »

Rich is right. Your native units should be the units you work in no matter what the screws, racks, etc. are in. Do the math to convert your steps per unit.

Roger that ..... over and out.
 :)
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 10:45:12 PM »
Well I definitely agree with setting it how Ill be working as well. Math doesn't lie so really it not matter what unit screws I got conversions can take place. Now one thing I noticed in the diagnostic screen it the unit change on bottom right. Now thats freaking sweet that I dont have to change one damn setting and pow Im in metric.. So on that note I don't see and issue on either way I set it up if I can switch that easy. Other then of course screwing something up because your adjusting in inchs and think your in mm's. Overall I agree though.

On another note, I have it set right now to 3600 Micro step so 8128/inch, I only went up that high because on direction change it seems to skip steps and be kinda clunky (no load, on bench) if at 1600 or lower.

I had a thought today, would lowering my acceleration fix the step skip problem on direction change? also Is it kinda clunky because of no load?

I read somewhere in my research higher micro step doesn't give better accuracy just smooths. As well you loose torque when raising microsteps. Do most you guys agree with this?
I was going as high in micro steps as I could to still achieve the speed I wanted. Is that a bad way to go at it? my original thoughts where to be at 800, Should I just stick with that? Just for poops and laughs, what are most you guys set at?