Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:49:26 AM

Author Topic: Help Can't get steppers to move!!!  (Read 24089 times)

Help Can't get steppers to move!!!
« on: January 24, 2016, 05:05:10 PM »
Hey guys!

So if any of you guys could help I would really appreciate it.

I'm stuck I can't get my motors to turn. I have nema/24s (eBay) with M542 drivers and a 36v 10amp power supply. I'm pretty sure I have mach 3's settings right but I'm not positive. Ive tried both active low and high and get no differance. If I test my Xclk pin on breakout board with my scope I get a perfect 5us square wave to I'm sure I have that right but motors don't move. I have 5v from breakout going to pulse+ Dir+ and Ena+ then clk pin to (-) pulse dir pin to (-) dir. Green light it on the driver. Motor is wired red blue green black. I'm so lost!!! Everything's brand new and I doubt all 3 drivers and all 3 steppers are bad. Motors also move by hand, so you don't think any power is going to them at all. I'm not sure if the scope will read anything out to steppers but I tried grounding and testing driver output to steppers and get nothing.

I do notice on diognostic screen the Ejog- and Ejog+ for all axies don't light when joging with keyboard or tab screen, is it suppose to? Also I'm sure ports and pins are right since I'm getting that output sig.

Any thoughts? Please I'm so lost.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 05:08:45 PM by nissan20det »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Help Can't get steppers to move!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 08:07:46 PM »
Provide a link for the steppers you bought, the drive you bought, and the break out board.
Post your xml file you using so we can have a look at your configuration.

Someone will take a look at it all.

When you jog does the axis DRO show movement?
Is the estop flashing on start up?

RICH

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 09:01:46 PM »
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:22:04 AM »
okay guys heres my setup as is, any thing wrong?-----------

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:01:52 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 01:32:46 AM »
Signal to driver from breakout board is 5volts 5us @11.3k Hz with a jog rate of about 160Units/Min.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 11:30:06 AM »
HIYA Rich , Don't you just love it when they do everything but what you asked them to do (;-)

(;-) TP
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 05:21:22 PM »
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,28353.0.html

FYI I believe this is the same breakout board you are using.
Don
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 09:00:05 PM »
Sorry BR549, I figured pictures are easier as well I dont know how to post a file on a forum, their is no option to attach files. and everything else he asked i did, so.......

Yes don, that is but they are have a completely different problem.

So I narrowed it down to what it is exactly doing. If I just power the drivers with 36v supply on, mother board off but PSU supply on, I can get the motor to Unlock and Re-lock when I power ENA+ with 5v and tap ENA(-) with ground. when motherboard is on they lock on start up then I open mach3 up, For some reason when I jog they release, then I can get it ever to lock the motor again. They'll also release when ground is applied but if I remove ground or switch enable on breakout from Low to High, they only half ass lock up, like just where I can feel the steps, so a little tighter then released but they can still be turned by hand. Nothing like when motherboard is off. 

any thoughts? if you guys need the config file could you tell me how to post it?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:01:39 PM by nissan20det »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 02:01:03 AM »
Your .xml file is located in the Mach3 folder <your profile>.xml (typically Mach3Mill.xml). Copy this file , rename it to Nissan.xml. Use the Reply tab then select Additional Options to attach the file to your post.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 07:57:07 AM »
I haven't looked at all the info, but quickly read reply 7.

When the controller power supply is  turned on the steppers should lock up. Current has been applied to the motors and thus the field is holding
the rotor in place  /  since the motor is not being pulsed. So you have max holding torque and that is based on the drive current setting.
Now some drives allow for reduced current to the motor when stationary, and as such, the drive will reduce the current, thus you can actually manually
turn the shaft. ( torque reduced and you can easily make it skip ) When pulsed the current is increased based on the current setting. On some drives this current reducing can really SUCK when implemented during actual machining.

Again, haven't looked the drive  info ( multitasking at the moment!)........,

RICH