Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:05:00 PM

Author Topic: Using f engrave  (Read 7936 times)

Using f engrave
« on: December 27, 2015, 06:58:49 PM »
F engrave really is a great tool for doing simply inlays and engraving.  And being free, I can afford to use it.  Works outstanding with wood, but I am having some issues engraving aluminum.

I am trying to get some letters engraved, kind of like a serial number, with letters about .187 in.  My problem is that my v bits are a little too wide an angle for this small a work.  I am using .03 tip with a 90* angle.  I can't seem to get to a useful depth and still have clean letters and numbers.  Also, engraving it really cuts deep in wide lines, I am assuming because it is trying to cut the entire line in one pass with the v bit, so it has to go deep to get the proper width.

What size bit would someone suggest for small work?  Is there any useful primer for a beginner on this software?

Thx
Dan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Using f engrave
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 01:59:30 AM »
Perhaps try an engraving point (bit) at about 30deg. angle for your serial numbers. You may have to use multi-pass at increasing depths (dependent on the total depth you need).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 01:41:51 PM »
Thanks.  30 degrees it is.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 02:19:36 PM »
  Also, engraving it really cuts deep in wide lines, I am assuming because it is trying to cut the entire line in one pass with the v bit, so it has to go deep to get the proper width.

Looks a though you might be using the V-Carve function ? ? ?
You should probably just use Engrave to your desired depth.

Not sure what you mean by "proper width" mentioned above. If  V-Carving, 30 deg. will go much deeper than 90.

I could be way off   .......    again.  :)
Russ
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 03:05:57 PM »
Tried both.  The engrave seems to want to outline the letters and VCarve just cuts them, but I think that is a depth issue.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 03:22:44 PM »
What font are you using ?
A stick font would probably be best.

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 04:06:16 PM »
tried Arial and Times
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 05:14:01 PM »
Tried both.  The engrave seems to want to outline the letters and VCarve just cuts them, but I think that is a depth issue.

I think you should be using a single line font. Sounds like you are using a boxed or open font engraving around the perimeter of the character.
Try it with the font that comes with F-Engrave .. normal.cxf
It is a single line font. Just set your depth, do not VCarve.

Tha'ts what I use along with a small center drill for the cutter, works a treat in aluminum.
Russ
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 06:49:38 PM »
Here is an example of the differences ... and an article that you might find helpful.

http://blog.capinc.com/2011/07/solidworks-tech-tip-the-best-font-for-cam-part-2/

Cheers  :)
Russ
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 08:08:40 PM »
Thanks, that should help