Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:13:23 PM

Author Topic: Spindle speed problem  (Read 5554 times)

Spindle speed problem
« on: May 10, 2007, 02:02:07 PM »
Since I last used my mill something has changed and speed control of the spindle speed has been lost.
I am using mach3 v2.064, a digispeed XL control board with spindle speed fed back using a pulse index board from CNC4PC.
 If I give M3   and a S~ codees the spindle surgeees into life then settles back to minimum speed.
This occurrs whatever speed I ask for eg S2000.
I have checked through all the config settings and tried some alterations but no success.
With the digispeed on manual I can turn the speed right up, no problem.
If  I use the automatic speed calibration it winds the speed way up in descrete steps.
I sometimes get the message 'PWM bumped to minimum' on the status line which seems tto cover the symptoms.

I am not sure whether or not I have upgraded to 2.064 since my last use of the mill which could mean a wrong setting but I have gone through the digispeed set-up more than once and cannot see a fault.
I am assuming it is not an electronic fault.

Can anyone suggest my next move; I am getting very frustrated.
I seem to remember having this problem before but cannot remember how I solved it.

Help
Malcolm Smith
Re: Spindle speed problem
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 08:54:11 AM »
Malcolm,
Please post you XML and we will have a look at it :)
I think you need to turn off the pid loop for the spindle
Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 04:51:10 PM »
Brian, thanks for your reply.
I switched off PID and spindle control was back to normal.

Attaching .XML file for your perusal

Keep up the good work

Malcolm Smith
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 07:57:22 PM »
To tmsmith and Brian...  I'm new here and hope this goes to the right place.

I'm having the same problem with my spindle.  I can't change the pwm speed output with the S input.  It was working for a while and then it quit accepting S commands.  I checked the configurations and I don't have the PID enabled.  The index input is working ok indicating the correct speed.  Watching the pwm output on a scope, it never changes.

On an M3 command (with S at any value) the spindle surges on then settles back to about 500rpm.  I also verified that I'm not in CSS mode.
Thanks,
 Tom Carlson

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 08:28:48 PM »
Hmm... This is a bit odd...  I would post your XML and we can have a look at your settings.
If you would like you can also send me the XML off list.
Thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 03:50:21 PM »
Hi tom_emag,
If your system worked then stopped working something must have changed.
I found it important to record changes made; probably my memory at fault, so I could return to previous conditions.
Of course a connection might have broken.
It will be interesting to see what Brian has to say.

tmsmith
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 07:39:29 PM »
First, thanks for the quick reply.  Before I went further I double checked everything again and found that my index pulse was not getting through for spindle rpm.  I did run the spindle auto calibrate in that condition and that may have been the problem.  After fixing the index problem and got rpm info back I re-ran the auto calibrate and it went ok.  I now have normal speed control back.  I can't be positive these are related but it did seem to correct the problem.

I'm now trying to get my tool changer going and could use some advice on that.  It's a simple 6 position tool changer that provides a pulse per tool position and an additional index at tool 1 position.  It only requires one output to start it moving, wait for the correct number of pulses and drop the output to index that tool.    Question is: how do I control the output lines?  Is that done by assigning M-codes or is there a script language of some sort.  I see there are some tool changer programs posted but no info on how to call these from Mach.

Thanks again for the help.
  Tom Carlson
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 07:47:18 PM »
Hello,
Please have a look at the toolchanger video on the web.. that should give you a great place to start!
Thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 11:57:41 AM »
Thanks, I looked at the toolchanger video and it was helpful.  However, I could not find the M6START.MLS they referenced as a starting point.  Can you tell me where it is or if there are any tutorials on how to call/ format a macro?   (I'm sure this is all obvious, just need a starting point)

Questions:
> how do you call a routine like an M command, for example  "M6 T0101"?
> where are the macros or command scripts located?   How do I access them to modify or add commands?  Are there individual files for each command?
> is there a listing of the variable references?  In reading some of the posted scripts I see the DROs for example are accessed by a variable number.
> is there a programming document that has all this in one place?

Tom